Sign in to follow this  
BML

Stew Recipes

I have a bunch of elk and buffalo stew meat that I need to start cooking up and need a few good recipes. I am a terrible cook and figure it can't be that hard to screw up stew!! lol

Here is an easy to follow "method" of cooking stew.

I rarely use quantities as I cook by just winging things much anymore as it's second nature to me.

I'll try my best to tell you how I do it and what I think as I'm doing things.

Cube up some cleaned meat into 1" cubes.

Dust them in flour (heavy on the flour) and sear them in a large pot in plenty of olive oil. (med-high heat)

Turn them frequently to achieve an even "browning" on all sides. (don't worry about this too much)

The olive oil will absorb some of the flour and will become a "roux" which will thicken the stew.

Once you start seeing some nice color, add some chopped onion and a little minced garlic to the pot. (turn down to med heat)

Be careful not to burn the garlic as it will turn bitter on you. Things will start to smell lovely at this point.

Cook until you see the onions turn "translucent'

Add some sliced celery and carrots and continue to toss everything around at this point as things cook.

Make sure you don't burn the "fond" or the good stuff that is sticking to the pan. Once the onions start to turn brown, (caramelize)

deglaze the pan with a little (1/2 cup) red wine. (anything will do, but wine adds a lot of flavor, beer is good too)

This is where you use your spoon and scrape off all the good stuff that's been sticking to the pan. This is nothing but FLAVOR.

The wine (or whatever you use) is helping you do this, as it reduces down as it evaporates.

Once this is done, add some salt, pepper, a SMALL PINCH of allspice, little paprika, and a bay leaf.

Add some red potatoes, cleaned and quartered.

Add a can of peeled crushed tomatoes, and enough water to cover the meat by one inch.

Simmer (covered) until the meat is fork tender, meaning you can pierce the meat with a carving fork and it comes back out easily.

Remove the bay leaf and taste the stew for seasoning, adjust salt at this point. (potatoes always tend to absorb some of the salt as it cooks)

That should do it!

Give it a whirl and let me know how things turn out.

You can always get crazy with herbs and spices (I usually do) but I wanted to keep things simple.

Happy Cooking! Both elk & buffalo are awesome table fare!

• Like 1

Blake, I'd like to share a perfect "guys" meal for stew meat that also works for roasts as well.... very simple.

Add your desired amount of meat to a crock pot... max 1/2 full.

Add garlic salt and what ever else you can find and add enough water to just about cover the meat.

Add 2 sliced onions, 1 diced jalapeno, 1 can of diced green chiles.... and just about anything else you want to throw in.

Cook for 8 hours min. shred meat and serve on tortillas.

Add, cheese, salsa, beans, etc as desired.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

I for one, am going to scrap my recipe and go with Chef's! He is giving us pearls of wisdom!!! Chef you should give a cooking class using the block off of a John Deere as your heat source. :)

Chef,

I am putting your recipe to work as we speak. Hopefully I don't butcher it too much! lol Thanks for the help.

Gino,

That's how I usually do it, but with roasts. Trying to broaden my horizons a little and try an actual stew. I'm getting tired of boxed meals!! hahaha.

Chef,

I am putting your recipe to work as we speak. Hopefully I don't butcher it too much! lol Thanks for the help.

Gino,

That's how I usually do it, but with roasts. Trying to broaden my horizons a little and try an actual stew. I'm getting tired of boxed meals!! hahaha.

Any updates on how everything turned out for you?

post-67-1286250990.jpg

Actually turned out pretty good! I think I may have lost some of the good flavor when I started adding spices and stuff. All in all, it ended up a little bland, but was still really good. I will probably finish up the rest of it for dinner tonight. Thanks again for the help.

Fajita stew

1 lb stew meat browned

1/2 onion

a bunch of green peppers or chiles (whatever is ready from the garden - mix of bells, hatch chiles, cherry peppers, etc.)

half a can of unsalted corn

1 package fajita seasoning

water

Brown meat and throw in crock pot with water to cover meat, fajita seasoning, chiles, peppers and onion. Cook on low for 8-12 hours add corn and cook till warm. serve with tortilla or corn bread. Garnish with diced jalepenos if you like it hot, cilantro, green onions, etc.

Yum.

I add a bottle of dark beer to any stew whether it is game meat or beef or pork. Try it...you won't be sorry. No your stew won't taste like beer. Most of my stews are cooked in the crock pot.