Sign in to follow this  
CouesBuckhunter

Rabbit???

Rabbit is a big Italian dish my aunt makes it every year at Easter, is that something that you may be entrusted in.

If so I can ask her

Rabbit is a big Italian dish my aunt makes it every year at Easter, is that something that you may be entrusted in.

If so I can ask her

Yeah im all ears.....

I have to say, I haven't cooked rabbit all that much.

Although the few times I did, it came out very pleasant.

I got all fancy schmancy once and completely de-boned one keeping the entire thing one piece.

I seasoned it, layed fresh sage leaves in it, rolled and tied it into a roulade.

Cooked it in chicken stock before letting it cool down and chill completely.

Sliced it and ate it as an hors d'oeuvre with crackers and Havarti cheese.

This was about 15 years ago, seriously, and my brother

still reminds me about how much he enjoyed it.

The last rabbit I cooked was at survival school while I was in the Air Force, in 1995. Boiled in a number 10 can, no salt, seasoning or anything. I remember thinking it was the best thing I had ever tasted. There was a couple of squirrels boiling in there at the same time, so maybe that was the trick.

• Like 2

The last time I had rabbit was Jack Rabbit in 1972, we broke down in the Hualipai mountains hunting deer. We were out there for about a week and ran out of food.

When we got done cooking it, I looked down at my piece, I'd swore it said "Goodyear" on the side of it. :lol:

Sorry, don't think you want our recipe.

If so I can ask her

Yeah im all ears.....

PM sent

There is nothing better than my Moms Recipe cotton tail in hatch red chile!

Growing up in Deming Nm I was spoiled to have hatch red chile at my disposal and there are tousands of cotton tails in NM Plus my cousins and I would harvest cotton tails all day making sure we cleaned them as soon as we harvested them thats key after that we put them in a cool and dry ice chest till we got home.soaked them in salt water over night to get remaining blood out.

My Mom would step in and coat 2 whole rabbits in olive oil lightly pepper and garlic salt them (to keep them moist)

add cubed and peeled potatoes ,one bay leaf ,2table spoons of oregano ,pinch of pepper and salt

put in crock pot for 3 to 4 hours on low till meat begins to come off the bone once this happens take out of crock pot and begin deboneing the rabbit

now you are ready for cooking the red chile

12 to 16 dryed hatch red chile remove stem and insert knife into chile pod and remove chile seeds this will make the chile not as hot just good flavor

rinse chile and place in boiling water for 15 to 20 min ( at this point chile will be thick like bell pepper) take off heat set aside for 10 min to cool off

remove chile and about 1/3 cup of the water that was used in the bioling .Place chile and water in blender and blend till smooth consistancy (strain to remove skin pices that won't blend and have a smooth chile sauce)

lightly oil frying pan add 2 table spoons of flower and toast flower till it is light brown then add red chile and cook till red chile starts to boil

add the potatoes and rabbit to the chile and bring to low heat let stand for 10 to 15 min.

serve with fresh refried beans and spanish rice and home made tortillas

folks theres nothing finer in the world .(I always look forward going home for the holidays and doing some rabbit hunting with the family back home in my mind while hunting I can already taste that red chile rabbit and tortillas :P

• Like 1

i like to skin them and them in the crock pot with tomato soap for a few hours. pretty simple. no need to debone as the meat will fall off any way.

the way i do it is ill go quail hunting most of a morning. with any luck shot a few cottontails when i get home get the rabbits going in the crock pot. then ill take a nap for a few hours. by time i wake up its ready.

• Like 1

chicken fried rabbit w/ gravy

Buttermilk biscuits

mashed potatoes

mid-western corn on the cob, right from the field, with farm fresh butter and Old Bay Seasoning.

When I was a kid...Illinois rabbits trembled at the mention of my name.

Well it is almost like a tradition to stick a rabbit or two in the dutch oven while in camp. I boil it out for a bit with some water and chicken stock. I then add some more chicken stock veggies, potatoes, onion and garlic cloves and cook it awhile longer. The key is to cook till rabbit is ready to fall off the bone. To soon and it will be tough or to long and it looks like charcoal.

Which brings me to another story. I completed most of the steps above the night before then I buried the dutch oven to put the finishing touches on the rabbit stew. Well I guess the coals were a little hot and the stew was maybe a little short on liquid. So anyways we roll back into camp and pull the dutch oven out of the ground. I pop the lid and all I can see is some charcoal in the corner of the dutch oven and a few carrots and some onion. The charcoal was the rabbit. There were no bones or anything just a ball of charcoal rabbit. To this day I cook rabbit in camp just to redeem myself from the charcoal stew I treid to feed my camp. I still to this day 6 years later catch sh$t for it.

my 2 cents.

pm sent! :D

TJ

Cottontail is great cut up like a whole fryer chicken and fried using your favorite fried chicken recipe.

Jacks -

I quarter them and keep backstraps for steaks. Steaks sliced thin and cubed is great or just tenderize with the Jaccard and fry in olive oil. Well done is reccomended.

The legs I crockpot on low overnight with peppercorns, garlic, onions bay leaves, salt and water. I then debone and add 1/4 lb cooked chorizo (venison or javelina made by SW Meats is great) and Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce to taste (1/4 to 1/2 bottle for two rabbits). Cook till warm and use for taco's or burritos. No one I know has turned their nose up to jackrabbits cooked this way.