Sign in to follow this  
CouesBuckhunter

Rabbit???

There is nothing better than my Moms Recipe cotton tail in hatch red chile!

Growing up in Deming Nm I was spoiled to have hatch red chile at my disposal and there are tousands of cotton tails in NM Plus my cousins and I would harvest cotton tails all day making sure we cleaned them as soon as we harvested them thats key after that we put them in a cool and dry ice chest till we got home.soaked them in salt water over night to get remaining blood out.

My Mom would step in and coat 2 whole rabbits in olive oil lightly pepper and garlic salt them (to keep them moist)

add cubed and peeled potatoes ,one bay leaf ,2table spoons of oregano ,pinch of pepper and salt

put in crock pot for 3 to 4 hours on low till meat begins to come off the bone once this happens take out of crock pot and begin deboneing the rabbit

now you are ready for cooking the red chile

12 to 16 dryed hatch red chile remove stem and insert knife into chile pod and remove chile seeds this will make the chile not as hot just good flavor

rinse chile and place in boiling water for 15 to 20 min ( at this point chile will be thick like bell pepper) take off heat set aside for 10 min to cool off

remove chile and about 1/3 cup of the water that was used in the bioling .Place chile and water in blender and blend till smooth consistancy (strain to remove skin pices that won't blend and have a smooth chile sauce)

lightly oil frying pan add 2 table spoons of flower and toast flower till it is light brown then add red chile and cook till red chile starts to boil

add the potatoes and rabbit to the chile and bring to low heat let stand for 10 to 15 min.

serve with fresh refried beans and spanish rice and home made tortillas

folks theres nothing finer in the world .(I always look forward going home for the holidays and doing some rabbit hunting with the family back home in my mind while hunting I can already taste that red chile rabbit and tortillas :P

man that sound good

• Like 2

Thanks for the recipes everyone. I will have to try these, it will be very tasty,tasty trials. It will be a good upgrade from my original recipe which was simply fried rabbit and pepper. Thanks again.

chicken fried rabbit w/ gravy

Buttermilk biscuits

mashed potatoes

mid-western corn on the cob, right from the field, with farm fresh butter and Old Bay Seasoning.

When I was a kid...Illinois rabbits trembled at the mention of my name.

+1

my dads friend use to make it like that when i was a kid.

Man, everyone wants to toss it in a crockpot or make a stew generally, but my grandmas way of making it in Germany is absolutely AMAZING. I'm a huge food snob and can honestly say this is one of my top 3 meals ever. She used to make it for me constantly when I visited. Basically you just season it with salt and pepper, then brown it in a pan. Once all sides are browned you cover the pan and let it slow cook for several hours. Once the meat is really tender remove it from the pan and make a gravy with the droppings. For sides we would always do boiled Yukon Gold potatoes, red cabbage and cranberry sauce then douse it all in the gravy. Makes me want to run out a shoot some rabbits right now!

• Like 1

We cooked one in camp last year. We were short on seasoning so we soaked it for a couple of hours in coke and lawrys seasoning and grilled it. We all liked it. Nice and simple.

It's been at least forty years, but I remember my wife's grandmother cutting up and breading pieces of the domestic rabbits I raised, then frying them like chicken and serving them with mashed potatoes, white gravy, and green beans.

I brought home some cottontails several times and she cooked them exactly the same way. The domestic rabbits always were good, but the cottontails were absolutely the best game meat I've ever eaten.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

A very simple recipe I love is just making rabbit Parmesan in a crock pot. Rabbit, marinara, onions, and peppers. Serve over pasta and you've got yourself a good dish.

• Like 1

Been thinking about this for a while.  I enjoy stalking Jacks.  Not as easy as some of you may think - they are quite crafty when exposed to hunting pressure.  Managed a couple in the bag this week, 

I think this will be another method to turn the humble hare into excellent table fare.

http://rabbittalk.com/corned-salted-rabbit-t16746.html