Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Quail hunting reports 2010

Just got back from Tonto Basin. It was hot today. Luke Duke and I finished around 9:30. (Well I did). He got 2 birds with 1 shot and called it a day. :lol: He stayed at the truck and watched me roam the hills sweating. I got birds 14 and 15 on the way back to the truck. My spot did not appear to have as many birds as last year and the biggest covey I saw was about 25 birds. Most were 10 or so. The prickly pear fruit was spotty in my area. Last year had more fruit. No snakes to report either. :o

i was in the same general area.... shot 6 birds and my dad got 6. our usual spot didnt have covies more than 20 birds. only 2 covies with about that many. but we are going out again tomorrow. so we didnt try too hard

I and a friend are leaving in the morning to go out in the 31-32 area so we will see how it is out this direction. We are also taking the varmint calls out to see if we can shoot a predator or two.

I was out Oct.1 on the north side of Roosevelt lake-Got a few birds and quit early-really hot. I saw good numbers of birds but they seemed really spooky for opening morning. Lots of birds getting up out of range or right on the edge of gun range-the ones you shoot at when you know they are too far and then shoot again because your gun holds more than one shell. Think I will go again next week and hope for cooler weather-would like to take my dog but just to hot. Didn't see any snakes and only talked with one hunter who did see any.

Jackshoe

• Like 1

Went down by Willow Spring's Ranch and tore them up not as many young dumb bird's this year but alot of bird's. Limited out and got 3 rattler's to.

Well we did not fare as good as most but we ended up with 12 birds. We also saw a nice 3x Whitetail where my friends and I are going to hunt in November.

It's that time again! Looks like the desert should be fairly green. I am heading out to my usual opening day spot in Tonto Basin for about the 28th straight year.( might have missed 1 year) Hope it is better than last year.

Guest akaspecials
It's that time again! Looks like the desert should be fairly green. I am heading out to my usual opening day spot in Tonto Basin for about the 28th straight year.( might have missed 1 year) Hope it is better than last year.

Don't get your hopes up. It's gonna be a hard quail year from what I've seen... Get at em early before they get smart! Good Luck!

I was hoping to be able to hunt this weekend but gotta work. I found a spot near red rock while dove hunting. First and last time I'll hunt "in the city" but I did find a cuvy of around 80+ quail. Since I can't make it all the way up there I'll give GPS cords to someone who can. Pm me and we'll go from there.