Sign in to follow this  
desertmafia21

2010 rifle bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opening morning started off nicely. Glassed up a couple bulls, the biggest being around 350-360. The biggest bull was in rifle range but i decided to pass on him. Seeing as it was opening morning i figured i could find one a little bigger before the hunt was over. I started video taping the good bull then bang! I saw the bullet hit right behind the front shoulder. I watched as another shot went off and the bull went down. Well there went my back up bull i said to myself. We decided to back out and head back to camp. Saturday evening we returned to the same area we were in opening morning and spotted a good 360 plus bull we worked our way down the hill to try and get set up before it got dark. No luck as the light deminished. We decided to head back to the same spot in the morning where we last saw the bull. Sure enough we heard him bugling down in the cut. We worked our way around the ridge to try and get into a shooting position. As soon as the sun rose we glassed the bull about half way up the ridge in front of us. He was at 540 yards. I decided to get set up with a nice rest so i could make the shot. As soon as i was set up the bull went into the thick oak brush and we couldnt see him. He stopped bugling so we started glassing in the area we last saw him. Two hours went by and we didnt see him anywhere so we decided to leave him. We talked it over at camp and i decided to pass on him. Monday evening

we went to a new area right near camp and hear at least 6 or 7 bulls bugling. It was thick timber so we had to still hunt to see the bulls. Right before dark we got close to a raspy sounding bull and we saw him. My uncle says its a monster so i got excited and got ready to shoot. He was rubbing on a tree so we decided to get closer and find a clear shot. The bull kept moving and the light ran out. Tuesday morning we went to the same area to find the big bull. I heard his raspy bugle so we decided to make our move to get to shooting range. We topped over a little ridge and he was right in front of us on the next ridge. We glassed through the thick pines to try and find him. Sure enough it was the same bull and he was heading right towards and opening. As soon as he got in the opening i was still getting set up to shoot. Screwed up that oppurtunity. SO we went down the the hill 50 yards and there he was in an opening between two pines. I shot and nothing. He still stood there unscathed. I shot again and he flinched so i knew i hit him. He didnt go down though so i loaded another bullet in the chamber and shot again. The bull dropped. We were all speechless! Here he is. AN 8 by 7 with two devil points coming off of his eyeguards. Quick taped him at 379. This was a hunt i will never forget!

post-3176-1285985754_thumb.jpg

Wow! That is one nice bull. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Great Bull. Thats the kind Your supposed to take on an early rifle tag, unless You have never killed a bull before. Seen alotta people waste early rifle tags on dinks. To each his own I guess. You definately shot a keeper. I got 16 bonus points and when I finally get that early rifle tag I whould be verry happy with what You got. Of course a 400 whould be nice but they dont grow on trees like some think they do. What unit did You kill in? Congrats again....BOB!