Sign in to follow this  
Hyperwrx

5 fox and 1 bobcat

Shooting video footage with Josh today. Also first day of the NPHA hunt.

6 stands and called in 5 fox and 1 bobcat. Not bad ratio. Too bad my shooting was less than optimal. Most days I am pretty good but some times I have a tough time.

Stand 1- call in a fox double. Shoot first one and on second I try shooting through some really light brush with my .17 Fireball and miss high. We stay on stand another 5 minutes and I spot a cat 100ish yards away just sitting watching the caller. I get the camera man on it and touch my 2 lb trigger and MISS! Luckily the cat only takes a step or two. He now was standing behind a bush with only his back half sticking out. I sink a 20 gain Accupoint right in the middle of him and he jump, flops around and tumbles half way down a small hillside, then GETS UP AND RUNS OFF! He was hit solid but ended up making it into the thick wash bottom and even after 30 minutes of hunting we couldn't find him. What a bad break.

Anyhow, here is the quick minimal edited footage of the stand. Josh can pick up foxes and cats with a video camera really well. He can predict movement as well as the best of them.

Later on I called in another fox and shot it. Josh called in a fox double and they wouldn't come out from behind a row of bushes so I couldn't get video of them so he passed.

For those who consider dedicating their predator pursuits to just fox and bobcats I highly recommend the Remington .17 Fireball. 4000 feet per second and a 20 grain Accutip bullet will enter a foxes body and leave no exit. A gray is only about 3-4 inches wide That bullet will enter, expand and make a slushie out of his insides and not even penetrate the other side. If you don't hit bone, you'll be hard pressed to find an entrance hole. The first fox I shot, was broadside and has no visible entrance and no exit. 2nd fox was straight on chest shot and bullet splashed a bit. Quarter sized entrance.

10_2a.jpg

10_2b.jpg

Sweet day for you! I use a 17 fireball as well along with my 204! I have lost a few coyotes with my fireball because of bad shots, but man I agree with you that 17 fireball is fun to shoot!!!!

Congrats. What sounds did you use? Did you make your caller? If so do you have plans on it?

Would like to build one that would be low cost.

I am on Minaska Outdoors field staff and use one of their Big Country electronic callers. The gray foxes came into a few different gray fox distress sounds and the bobcat to a cottontail distress.

I am on Minaska Outdoors field staff and use one of their Big Country electronic callers. The gray foxes came into a few different gray fox distress sounds and the bobcat to a cottontail distress.

Looks like a very well made caller. Just way out of my price range. Have to figure something out.