Sign in to follow this  
galiuro mountain man

december hunters

Scott,

Those are nice sheds but did you pull the trigger? :D

Thanks Again Scott for the daily journal :D

Guest Ernesto C

Scott you are about to give me heart atack!! Did you shoot or not? I'm not going to be able to sleep now thinking if you shot or not :D God bless you and heal your foot.

Ernesto C.

Ok, ok, ok!! I couldn't hold back that little cruel streak that comes over me from time to time. :D I didn't pull the trigger. I just couldn't bear to end my hunt yet. The buck, a big mature Coues buck, was somewhat point deficient and I decided to let him go. The hunt continues.

I headed to another area Christams Eve night and set up camp. I did some glassing that evening but didn't see any deer.

082455.JPG

I hiked to the top of a nasty mountain that I never had the opportunity to scout. Man, was that a mistake! The brush was awful! Mahogany 15 foot high and stacked in so tight it was virtually inpenetrable!! I tore my shirt, my pants and the whole time I was sayting to myself "I should've killed that buck. I should've killed that buck." :D Anyway, I get to the top and start glassing and the wind is howling and the cold is biting my exposed skin. Of course no Coues deer worthy of his compact little rack would get caught dead wandering around under those conditions. So I never saw anything except a lone mule deer doe on ridge out of the wind and whole herd of rutting mule deer about 3 miles out (too far to photograph). I did glass up 2 elk sheds.

The lone doe.

082454.JPG

The big elk shed.

082451.JPG

The back mountain is where I glassed the elk shed at.

082453.JPG

Anyway, I didn't get out today due to poor weather and tomorrow I have a funeral to go to (another one, my uncle this time) and Sunday I have church.

Sunday afternoon Maldonado and I are pulling my camptrailer up and are going to hit it hard for the last 3 days. I'm still determined to hold out for an exceptional buck and am prepared to come home emptyhanded which is fine, I don't need another set of dink horns laying around the house. Will keep everone informed.

Scott

Thanks for continuing the story Scott. I hope you end up getting a great buck.

I am leaving tomorrow morning for another 5 days backpacking. The weather has turned colder and I expect some good deer activity. Can't wait!

Nice photo of that elk shed, that's pretty cool. And hey, what happened to the goats???? :D

Amanda

Great story and photos scott, nice to be able to come home from work and read about the hunts, hope you get big buck, amanda good luck to you as well...BH

good luck on your backpack hunt Amanda. As for the goats I haven't hunted anywhere this hunt that I need them to get in...yet.

Scott

Edited by ScottAdams

Thanks Scott for continuing your story and hope you get a monster.

What did the buck that you passed on score?

Good Luck Amanda and hope you kill a monster also

Jason, I think he was a high nineties buck gross. But was pretty uneven and probably wouldn't have scored well net. He is a mature Coues buck that probably doesn't have the potential genetically to be a "monster buck".

Scott

I finally shot my first deer. It's not a trophy, but for my first deer to be a coues buck I think is something to brag about. He's a little 2x2 and weighed in at the butchers at a whopping 60 lbs. I shot him at 125 yds. with my 25-06. I'll be sending my pics to Amanda to have them posted and I'll give the details of the hunt. Good luck to everyone.

Congratulations Mike! My first Coues deer was a 2-point, that was 17 years ago. I'm still proud of that buck. Can't wait to see the photos!!

Scott

Scott: the suspense will kill us. Finish the story with a great picture of this buck. Sorry about the ankle I know it was hurting up on the Kaibab.....we are getting older, maybe you need some geriatric medicine.............LOL..........Allen...............

Yea, I know what you mean Allen. I did like Duwane said and walked if off, so while it's not 100%, it'll do. I'm out the door and planning on being gone 3 days. I'll catch y'all up when I get back.

Scott