Sign in to follow this  
cpugsie

Vin's 1st Deer!!!

I arrived in our hunt unit on Monday morning, 4 days prior to the Junior hunt. Even though there was a lot of rain most of it actually missed my camp spot. WOW! I think they had it much worse in the valley. Not much activity until Wednesday evening when I spotted a great 4 x 4 muley still in velvet. Finally a buck! Thursday morning I glassed up 3 whitetail bucks with one being a nice 5 x 5 (counting brow tines) that I'd put right around 100" with two reasonable 3 x 3 's (counting brow tines). My son Vinnie arrived with his friend Justin and Justin's dad around 1:30 Thursday afternoon. We went out for one last scout before the hunt and glassed up one more smallish muley buck that evening. After showing them some video of the bucks I had previously seen Vinnie asked who would hunt where? Bob (Justins dad) respectfully said that since I'd done all the pre scouting that we should have the first choice on where we wanted to go. Vin and I discussed the two possible locations and he chose to go after the whitetails. YES! Even though the muley was a great buck to go for there where more possibilities going after the whitetails with one of the bucks being a great buck for any hunter. And the fact that they were WHITETAILS!!! Opening morning was uneventfull until 10:00 am when I spotted our first deer in the shadows. Not until he stepped out into the sun could I tell it was a buck. I told Vin that I had a buck in the binos and let him take a look. One look and he simply said "lets go". It was one of the 3x3's I'd seen the morning before. We packed things up and headed down the hill for the stalk. The wind was in our face and the sun high enough not to be a problem. We simply stayed on the opposite side of the ridge we were on until we possitioned ourselves directly across from the now bedded buck 153 yards away. I readied my tripod with a rifle rest attachment and pointed out where the deer was to Vin. I said that it was the grey spot in the shaddow of the trees across the canyon. His first shot the deer stood up. His second shot put him down for good. He actually hit him both times. Vin did a great job being quiet during the stalk, acquiring the deer in the scope all on his own, helping with removing the meat and cape from the buck and packing him out. I couldn't have been a prouder dad!!! These junior hunts are great in that they limit the number of people hunting which makes for a great hunting expierence. Nice job Game and Fish!!

V3.jpg

V2.jpg

Justin and Bob went on several stalks (including one for a giant muley) and had a great hunt! They did not connect with a deer this year. However, Justins attitude was great and he hiked his butt off trying to make it happen.

We sat both kids down before the hunt and went over several possible outcomes of the hunt. We said that no matter which scenario takes place that they should be happy for the other guy no matter what. Here's what we told them:

1) Both of you might not get a deer

2) Both of you might get deer of similar size

3) Both of you might get deer but one will be bigger

4) Only one of you might get a deer

Both kids had a great time as well as us dads!