azyota

I'm looking for a good Elk Tenderloin recipe

My wife thawed one out last night, then called me about an hour ago saying she won't have time to cook tonight, so I'm looking for some ideas.

Thanks!

Throw it on the grill just like you would a steak ;)

I agree. I like to season with just a bit of salt and pepper and grill. Less is more to me with a nice piece of meat like that. Just enjoy that natural flavor ;)

I don't like to grill game meat. Not enough fat, especially on the back straps.

Let it set out until it's room temp.

Slather it up with a liberal amount of olive oil. Season it lightly, put it on a big sheet of thick foil.

Throw some fresh herbs on. I like rosemary.

Squeeze a lime on it. A squirt or 3 of Worchestrireierier Sauce

put 2 or 3 slabs of butter ( I said REAL BUTTER) around the meat

Wrap it up tightly with the foil.

Put it in a shallow pan into a 500 degree oven for 30 minutes.

turn down the heat 300 and cook until it's done way you like. Test with a meat thermometer but Don't open the foil.

When it's done the way you like it. (I would never go past medium with game meat, medium rare would be better) take it and set it on the counter...BUT DON'T open the foil for at least 20 minutes. You open when it's hot and all the juice is going to run out. If you cut the meat while it's still steaming hot, you'll have a dry arse piece of meat.

• Like 1

Tenderloin on any animal doesn't have much fat.

That is why it's tender when cooked rare to med-rare.

Anything beyond that and you are just killing it, or hate yourself so much to feed yourself shoe leather and cardboard. :blink:

Here is one recipe sure to please:

Season the tenderloin with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper

Sear it on a hot skillet, turning it to make the outside nice and brown.

Depending on the thickness, it should be done cooking by the time you finish searing it.

If not, place the skillet into a 350*f oven until done.

Remove meat from pan to rest as you make the sauce.

Deglaze the pan with 1/4 c of brandy. (careful with the flame)

Add a few peppercorns to the pan and swirl in some butter and minced shallots. (onions will do)

Finish this off by adding heavy cream and a little dijon mustard to the pan.

Reduce liquid until you get a nice consistency. (if it coats the back of a metal spoon, you are good)

Slice the tenderloin and pour the sauce over it.

You now have Elk Tenderloin Au Poivre

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Nice recipes! I'm looking forward to trying some of these out. Tomorrow I'm going to take a piece of elk backstrap that has not been frozen and coat it in olive oil and pack on a dry rub of montreal steak seasoning and cook it slow on the grill. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Roll it in minced garlic and coursly ground peppercorns. Put it in the oven at 425 for 10 minutes, take it out and brush it with butter. Cook for 5 more minutes. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

c'mon ya buncha weirdos. you been watchin' them stupid cookin' shows too much and readin' bon appetite. slice it up about 1/4-3/8" thick. salt and pepper, flop it in flower and chunk it in a hot cast iron skillet with a little oil and cook it well done. even a little crunchy. then make some gravy and fried taters and biscuits. rosemary? garlic? mustard? it ain't a weiner. rosemary, what the h e l l is that? we beat up anybody in our camp that wants rosemary. yuk. what is it anyway? just the name sounds like it'll hurt ya. Lark.

c'mon ya buncha weirdos. you been watchin' them stupid cookin' shows too much and readin' bon appetite. slice it up about 1/4-3/8" thick. salt and pepper, flop it in flower and chunk it in a hot cast iron skillet with a little oil and cook it well done. even a little crunchy. then make some gravy and fried taters and biscuits. rosemary? garlic? mustard? it ain't a weiner. rosemary, what the h e l l is that? we beat up anybody in our camp that wants rosemary. yuk. what is it anyway? just the name sounds like it'll hurt ya. Lark.

+1 Yummy, good ol southern cooking!

Just cut up the backstrap about 3/8 inch, salt, pepper, cavenders, then dipped in flour and fried in the skillet. Dang that was good.

Man I like to cook the meat almost as much as hunt it! I tried almost all these recipes thought the last week and they all turned out good!

marinate in whatever flavor you like and make Kabobs - grilled to perfection with all the fresh veggy's - bell peppers onions mushrooms == awesome