azyota

I'm looking for a good Elk Tenderloin recipe

slice about 3/8" thick, in a ziplock dump in some flour, salt, pepper and a touch of garlic powder, put in the steaks and shake until the meat is all covered, then cook in bacon grease or butter in a frying pan at medium heat, your call on how long you cook, I prefer medium rare, make sure the grease/butter is hot before you put the steaks in

simple is best for tenderloins, taste the meat, I usually eat them for breakfast with hashbrowns and overeasy eggs the next morning, they seldom make it home from the hunt

This is a tasty one I stole from my parents when they cook flank steak.

place tenderloin in ziplock baggie

-finely score the meat (you can puncture or finely slice not to deep)

-add 1 cup olive oil or wesson oil

-3 Tbsp honey

-3 good shakes of Montreal Steak seasoning

-1/2 of chopped up white onion

-1/3 cup soy sauce

-2 chopped up garlic cloves

-1 Tbsp curry

-1 Tbsp ginger

let marinade for 4 hours and grill. You won't be disappointed, if not to your liking, stop eating and give me a call to take off your hands. I will send you a voucher to KFC for your time.

• Like 2

Um, here's a fancy one.

salt, pepper, and fire.

I love elk. Tenderloins are good marinaded though, since they dry out fast.

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup water

2 tbsp. white vinegar

Montreal Steak Seasoning

1 clove fresh chopped garlic

1 tsp. crushed red pepper

Put all in a ziplock bag and marinate 2-3 hours.

Wrap in bacon

Cook on hot (500°) grill (flip after 1 minute to sear both sides quickly) until desired temperature (I prefer medium rare for venison/elk, medium on beef) takes about 4-7 minutes per side depending on thickness of cut

Consume!!!

We make stuffed Pasilla/poblano or jalapeño peppers and corn on the cob on the grill with these. MONEY!!!

20141227_112732_zps5dvnmua9.jpg

• Like 1

Marinate loin and bacon in salt, pepper, garlic powder, olive oil, apple cider vinrgar, brown sugar and maple syrup.

Wrap loins with bacon and throw in a hot skillet. Get a good sear. Remove and place on low heat in oven. Do not over cook. Game meat needs some redness or pink due to the leaness.

Make a reduction sauce with the drippings from the skillet by adding a dark beer, more brown sugar and syrup. I also throw some red chili powder for some kick. Reduce the liquid until it get a good viscosity and coats a spoon.

Remove loins And dizzle reduction sauce Over. HEAVENLY. my absolute favorite way to take in some loin.

post-9020-0-35879000-1422477906_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

There is NO GOOD elk tenderloin. It is all HORRIBLE meat.... You should immediately package all of it up and ship it to my house asap. Do not attempt to eat it. I will properly dispose of it..... In my belly! :rolleyes:

Is there any BAD way to cook it??? Heck, I think it's awesome with a dash of olive oil, salt, pepper, and a BBQ grill, cooked to a nice medium rare!

K.I.S.S

Garlic salt, Montreal Steak Seasoning,drizzle olive oil and Worcestershire. Pierce with a fork a few times and flip. Leave on counter for an hour. Cook in hot skillet 2 min first side and 1 min 2nd side. Tent with foil 2-3 min. Slice and enjoy.

post-2937-0-60259500-1480532529_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Elk loins should ever be done with marinade. Why ruin it? Marinades are for other stuff....

Salt, pepper, mesquite, open flame. Done. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2016 at 12:05 PM, savagman said:

K.I.S.S

Garlic salt, Montreal Steak Seasoning,drizzle olive oil and Worcestershire. Pierce with a fork a few times and flip. Leave on counter for an hour. Cook in hot skillet 2 min first side and 1 min 2nd side. Tent with foil 2-3 min. Slice and enjoy.

post-2937-0-60259500-1480532529_thumb.jpg

I know this is old but I did this Tuesday and it was outstanding.

when you get meat as high quality as elk or deer, why try to ruin the great taste by adding a bunch of bullshit flavors to hide it.

Olive oil, very little ground pepper and maybe a pinch of onion salt.

Wood on a grill, mesquite or oak, has to be native to AZ.

cook rare and indulge.

• Like 1

Roosevelt Mark,

Thanks.  I am glad you enjoyed a very simple preparation that brings out the best in game meat.  I enjoy the high quality meat from elk and deer but as man has for eons, I also enjoy finding spices and cooking methods that pair well with the flavor and character of the meat.  

I appreciate the positive response.