Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

Checked camera today

well basically they state attach anything that can damage the tree- to be honest even cutting limbs - clearing shooting lanes - building blinds can possably be labeled doing damage to trees.

guess its all on how its being interpeted by the people in charge or these rules/laws.

Like I stated in a previuos post--somewhere

we really don't have any idea what the national forest laws are

leaving unattended items- littering - the pack it in pack it out - etc -- depends on what they want to do . since none of this stuff is natural in the forest

Its getting to the point - we are gonna learn the rules real quick !

The tree that the cam was bolted to is dead. I use ladders with cam straps instead of tree spike steps for my tree stands. My buddies and I make an effort to follow all rules. Even though a screw or lag can be removed they are not aloud and you could be fined. I assume I could not be hassled for lagging into a dead tree. They perps had to have found my spot and came back with tools. NO ONE would be that deep w those kind of tools, no way.

- lag bolt it to a tree,

I'm pretty sure that this is also ILLEGAL

you can not permanently attach anything to a tree

sure ya want to try to keep your camera safe but its still notthe right thing to do!

And who knows it could be private property. LOL

Buckhorn

Man that really sucks. They obviously wanted that thing bad!!

As far as the bolts go, I know of a FS guy in unit 8 who wrote tickets to hunters during the archery deer season this year for those screw in steps. He actually hid near the stands until the hunters showed up. After confirming ownership of the stands, he wrote a ticket for EACH STEP that was screwed into the tree. He did it to several different hunters too. He was obviously trying to prove a point.

I don't use lag bolts or boxes, but I do use big heavy chains. It's a lot more weight to carry around, but I have yet to lose a camera, knock on wood.. They can still be stolen, but so far I have been lucky.

Gary, with all the bark rotted off on most of it, it looks dead to me... I know, I know but I'm a 'detail' guy as you know. Gets me in trouble. LOL

Kent

kent - just for the record - i was makin reference to the statement about putting lag bolts into trees - made by Coach -

i do see the tree with the box is an old decaying tree - suprises me the bolt didnt pull out!!

- lag bolt it to a tree,

I'm pretty sure that this is also ILLEGAL

you can not permanently attach anything to a tree

sure ya want to try to keep your camera safe but its still notthe right thing to do!

Hmmm - never thought about that. I figured people are screwing treestand steps by the dozens into trees and didn't see this as much different. I can tell you I'm not leaving it out there with nothing but a cable or chain that can be snipped with bolt cutters.

Good info Blake and Gary.

Problem I can see with bolting it on is exactly what happened, makes a prybar an easy can opener. The more secure it is to a solid object the more torque can be applied to a small area like a seam, use it's immobility against it. If the box flops around with torque it's much harder to get a bite on it.

Being in construction and having to demo every once in awhile, I can see a very easy way to get at any cam in a box, welded or whatever. I won't say as to help future thieves. It just means if someone wants that cam they will get it. It only discourages a casual encounter and animals.

Hope you all have better luck in the future.

Kent

Coach,

I was thinking the same thing about reinforcing the angles with welding. Perhaps invest in some boots with spikes and a climbing belt. I've seen a guy trimming palm trees with some similiar equipment. Maybe a camera high up would be a lot safer. Just sucks packing in all the extra gear to switch cards :blink: :angry:

I'm definitely more bummed about the possibility of 6 weeks of pics going to some snake than I am about the cam. The bucks usually disappear after they shed their velvet so I lost valuable info and if really pisses me off. I used the lock box to keep honest people honest. I knew someone could steal it if they really wanted too.

Just flat out sucks you put a lot effort into something and someone rapes the scene like this. I'll have to move shop even a little farther off into the sticks.

If the bucks usually disappear after they shed their velvet, then why did you have your camera out there so long? Did you have a later hunt in the year for the area?

If the bucks usually disappear after they shed their velvet, then why did you have your camera out there so long? Did you have a later hunt in the year for the area?

Some cameras I leave out most of the year depending on where they are. Bucks are obviously still there, but after they shed their velvet their interest in salt licks drops off tremendously. I like to get pics all the way through until they shed and the camera is also set over water. I was hoping after the monsoon rains dried up the bucks would start hitting the water instead of the salt. They seemed to hit the water hard in Oct and Nov last year and I was hoping for even better results this year. I did mention in my first post why it had been so long since I was in there, but really, they could have taken it anytime. I don't think to say why it was out there so long is really relevant. The camera has been there for almost 2 years non-stop without a problem so far.

I do pull some cams after they shed velvet, just depends on which one.

need to lock up all four sides then it would be pretty impossible unless they cut the tree down

You are not allowed to lag bolt anything to a tree in national forest land. Also looks like you need a stronger box, who makes that one??

Lance,

Box was made by covert. Also, someone else brought up the fact of lagging to tree. Tree is dead and I would think lagging to it is fine?

You may have a problem with attaching anything to any standing tree that is intended to be permanent or would damage the tree, regardless of alive or dead. I am not an expert, but there may be interpretation issues between law enforcement on "standing trees".