I was walking through the kitchen last night and over heard "remington under fire". A bunch of people claiming that 700s are dangerous. They did have some video that shows faulty guns. Anybody else hear about this?

Here are a few of the news articles

http://search.cnbc.com/main.do?target=all&...egories=exclude

I saw the whole program. Very interesting. I was very sceptical of any thing on cnbc but they showed the army sniper videos of rifles going while turning the safety off. And when working the bolt. I've personaly always thought 700 were overrated and over priced.

whatta you knotheads think i've been tellin' ya for years about remington triggers? this has been a problem since the 721's were first made in the later 40's. i've seen it happen several times. remington triggers are dangerous. that's why they recently changed em. the original triggers are pretty neat in how they break very well, but they are dangerous as heck and can go off for no reason. especially if they get a little dust in em. they quit making the 600 because of dangerous triggers. i watched the show. it said if they woulda fixed it in the 40's, when the guy that invented it wanted to, it would have 5.5 cents each. that was too much. the 700's are a decent action, but are made much cheaper than most others. Lark.

My buddy just got a 300 win mag SPS and I couldn't believe the hinge plate release button was inside the trigger well. Somebody is asking to get shot with that set up. I have an old .270 ADL and thing is awesome, I was also in the military and around the 700's they use and I thought they were fine and never heard of them doing stuff like you guys are saying. Also, remember in the military they have armorers and who knows what they did to the weapon.

Also this is why we were taught (hunter saftey) to unload guns back to back and into the ground.

it mighta fixed the new ones, but it didn't do much for the millions of em before the fix. the 700's; 721, 725 and 700, are very accurate actions. always have been. but they are also made in a style that allows them to be real inexpensive. they have never had a real "safety". what they call a safety just blocks the trigger. the hammer is still live, as long as it is back. there isn't one part that blocks that hammer. not one. this is one place they save a lot of money on the action. the trigger is a very accurate style, but it has some design flaws that allow the things to go off when ya don't want em to. dust so small you can't hardly even see it will allow it to go off when you close the bolt or take it of safety. the most recent changes remington has made are a modification to the "safety" that allows you to unload the magazine and chamber, without taking the safety off and they have put in a different trigger, that from the diagrams i've seen, looks nearly identical to the jewel trigger. jewel is also the brand of trigger that remington installs in the sendero. remngtons also have a soldered on bolt handle and i hate their cheesey extractor, but those don't have much to do with safety. and it you never have a problem with a reload, the cheesey extractor shouldn't be a problem, but they are really inferior to a claw. when winchester went away from the pre-64 model 70 styls, it was simply economics. they basically cloned the 700 bolt, but they did leave the true safety on the bolt, like it should be. 700's are ok, but they are inferior in design and craftmanship than the better actions. and they are very accurate. you can't argue that. but if you have one, you need to understand the quirks and flaws of it and use it accordingly. and never point it at yourself or anyone else, when you unload it or take the safety off. because everyone of em has the potential to kill ya. i have several 700's. but also know what i have. i've never had a problem with any of mine. but i have seen several real close calls with other's rifes. Lark.

All I own is Remingtons. I love my 700 ADL, and Remington 870. I didn't hear anything about it until now.

I got rid of my Remington last year when my boy started hunting.Didn"t like the safety having to be on to unload the weapon.

i love my remington 700's!!...but i did have a scare with my 25-06 one year during deer season when i was stalking some bucks and had the gun go off into the ground..my hand was not even close to the trigger.

we have one 700 that has been "defective" several times and it just sits in the safe now, too scary never took it to a smith. my other 700 has been fine, no problems

azrcks,

My understanding is that the problem lies in the triggers themselves, not the rifle. Have you considered an aftermarket trigger for your faulty 700? Timneys run around $100 and are easily adjustable...

I got rid of my Remington last year when my boy started hunting.Didn"t like the safety having to be on to unload the weapon.

I found the change needed and it's a simple DIY fix to have it so you can open on safe. I only used two tools, screw driver and file.