Sign in to follow this  
yeti-az

San Carlos Mtn Lion Tag

I was told that my San Carlos Coues Deer Tag came with a mountain lion tag. When I called they said no. Does anyone have any info on this? So then I ask how much to buy one and they say $15 for the lion tag and another $10 per Day to hunt. I didnt understand this. I thought that I could hunt with my Deer tag and keep the lion tag in my pocket just in case. Does anyone have any info on this???? Thanks for the help.

Nate

That's hunting the rez - it all depends on who you talk to and on what day. :P I know the used to issue a lion tag with whitetail tags - maybe that's changed. My understanding is that while you are on your deer hunt, you don't have to pay the $10 per day for lions, but if you go up scouting and plan to lion hunt as well, then you'll need to pay the $10 ($6 trespass fee if you are just scouting and not hunting).

This is how it was a few years ago.

They may have stopped giving out the lion tags with the big game tags. Used to be included, but sounds like you are out of luck. If they are not included, then like they told you, you have to buy a lion tag and then pay a daily fee to hunt.

When were you told that your deer tag included a lion tag and was it by a SC Dept employee? As Coach alluded to, things can change fast out there and you can hear different things from different people. You might call again and ask.... or check their website for regulation info. They might have a notice on there about the change in tags.

Easiest way to avoid problems like this are dont hunt on the rez! There is way to much corruption in there goverment ranks. Too many hands in the piggy bank to do things right. People paying there high fees are why it stays that way. Nothing against the people but the system there is flawed to say the least.

here's the deal...

Commissioners felt that nothing should be given away free so they wanted to change it to its own hunt with a price tag of $250 bucks, never happened for who knows what reason(s), so it just died at that BUT, they did decide that no more (ANY) tags would be given away for free, so now you gotta buy it the way it already was, so as it stands....

Mtn Lion Tag: $15.00

Daily Fee: $10/day

Bag Limit: 5 per year

Pretty good deal if you ask me.

PS. Try not to rely on the website for info, no one monitors it and updates are only made as they happen, sometimes haha, best thing to do always is call and ask, if its too much of a hassle then i suggest taking BeardownAZ's advice and just don't hunt the rez and let someone else deal with it.

DAN

REG 002-TIME AND METHODS

P. Non-members may use their own dogs only for hunting small game and waterfowl, unless otherwise specifically authorized by a rule, regulation, or order of the Recreation & Wildlife Commission. Such dogs must be collared with the dog owner's identification.

Q. Dogs may be used to hunt mountain lions and bears during the non-member hunts, provided that the dogs are owned by a legally licensed tribal member guide who must be with the hunter while in the field with the dogs. No person shall use any bait at any time to attract or take any big game on the San Carlos Reservation. SCRWD personnel shall be exempt from this regulation when in the performance of their official duties.

DAN