Sign in to follow this  
200"mulie

Calling in the rut?

anyone have experience with calling mule or whitetail in the rut?

does it really work?

do you need dense brush or high concentration of bucks?

i've always either stocked on them or had someone try to scent bust them torwards me.

I've had luck with the coues call from Modern Call Products, put the o-ring between the B & U on the reed. Never used it to call in deer but it has stopped a bunch so they could be shot (or shot at).

They make a Mule deer call also, exhale is buck and inhale is doe. Have had good results stopping deer with the doe call. A few years back one of my hunters got to miss a buck 4 times before he finally got him. He'd miss, the deer would turn to run and I would hit the call and the deer would turn back and wait for the next shot.

Have your calls handy on scouts, like on the dashboard, and when you see something turn the rig off and play with the calls, the animals will let you know when you are making the right noise.

Talk to some ppl that had gone down to mexico in the rut. said that calls usually don't work but rattling in some of the thick oak brush can get some deer coming in

I've done a lot of rattling and grunting during the january hunts here in AZ. I've only rattled one buck in...a spike and grunted in 6 or 7. If they are within hearing distance and the wind is right they will come in pretty darn quick!! The last buck I shot came in immediately to some grunting and came directly to my mock scrape. He was a 90" buck.

Mike

Go for it. I tried calling during the rut one time, with one buck and it worked. He came in on a string from about 70 yards to 10 yards. Haven't had time to hunt during the rut since then but when I do I'll be calling again.