Sign in to follow this  
coues7

Leftover 30A Tag

I'd like to do some hunting this year and had to forfeit my 22 tag due to prior work commitments. I saw that there were some leftover tags down south. I'd like to think I'm pretty tough and could handle myself in a situation, but when you have 3 kids and a wife at home you start to think about things differently. I'd be hunting in the south east corner of the unit if I do go down so is there anyone on CW.com that can offer some confidence or warning about hunting this unit to help me make my decision?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

Let me put it to you this way:

If you WERE to get into an altercation, you probably will do so with armed mend, posssibly with automatic weapons... That probably wont be alone... That have nothing to loose and have no concern with human life. So, how tough you are really has nothing to do with it, and is a bad attitude to have.

Having said that... That chances of getting in some sort of mess are very very slim.

I wouldn't describe it as a bad attitude. I have zero desire to get into an altercation but if threatened I'd be more than willing to defend myself, even if it meant taking someone elses life, especially if they have no concern for human life. I'd simply like to go down and hunt in MY COUNTRY where no one should be a victim of the cartels. I appreciate your input though.

Scott you'll be fine. The only suggestion I have is that if you camp down there, camp on a ranch near ranch buildings. I did the same in a border unit with my son. I felt perfectly fine 7 miles from the border. I slept with my .357 magnum right next to me. Especially when the ranch dog lets you know of any intruders, two legged or four legged.

If you see them in the daylight, most likely you'll be stationary and they'll be moving. If you can, call them in to BP. You aren't going alone are you?

Simple Hunter,

I'll have my dad with me and that was my plan was to stay near the ranches, with my Glock ready to go. Again my hope would be that I would never be in a situation where I would have to defend my life.

I had this same dilemma last year. I drew a coues ML tag in unit 27 NM, and wanted to hunt an area about 10 miles N. of the border with Mexico. There are all kinds of trails coming through this area, and I was doing it solo. I ended up sleeping under a full moon in a little crevice holding a pistol in one hand as coati's raided me each night. I killed a smallish upper 80's buck just so I could go home.

Was it scary? Heck yeah! Would I do it again, absolutely! The best thing you can do is get someone to go there with you. It's infinitely more scrary when you're down there alone. Pack some heat, get a buddy, I'll go with if you can't find someone else, Stay off the major trails, and just have fun with it. I saw more deer on my hunt than I have EVER seen in the safer areas. I didn't see a single illegal or drug smuggler, but I was careful about where I camped and where I hunted.

If I had ONE guy with me, the fear factor would have gone away completely. Unfortunatlely, for me, the guy I was going to go with drew a really great CO mule deer tag, so I was out there with absolutely no back up. It's funny how your mind will start to play tricks after only one or two nights in a tiny drainage and bivy tent, clinging to a Baretta 9mm, with one eye open all the time.

If you can get someone to go with you, you'll have a great hunt. If you can't, well, unless you really thrive on "adventure", it could be more stressful than it's worth.

Just my $.02

My hunt last year was in a southern unit in AZ. I just stayed in an organized campground (state or national forrest), and I got up earlier to drive to my hunting area and had no problems. As posted earlier, during the day you are in camo and mostly sitting, UDA would probably just walk past anyway.

Is it legal to get a left over tag if you were already drawn for your 22 tag?

I dont think it it is legal. Last year my Uncle drew a Jan. Archery Javalina tag and was unsuccessful. There were leftover permits in the southern units for the Nov. Archery hunts so he called the Game and Fish and they told him that he couldn't apply since he had already drawn a tag for that species in the same calendar year.

Is it legal to get a left over tag if you were already drawn for your 22 tag?

Scott,

I had the same thought as Amanda. I do not believe you can get a leftover permit if you received one in the regular draw.

Doug

Unfortunately, I can tell you from personal experience that you're out of luck. I drew an October tag for a northern unit this year. Not far into the hunt, I decided to come home and buy a leftover tag for one of the southern units I'd successfully hunted recently. When I called Game and Fish this week to ask about purchasing a leftover tag, I was told that once you're successful in the draw, you can't buy a leftover tag. Skeptical, I looked in the regulations, and found the very disappointing news that I was finished hunting this year. R12-4-104(L): "An applicant shall submit only one valid application per genus of wildlife for any calendar year, except: 1. If the bag limit is one per calendar year, an unsuccessful applicant may re-apply for remaining hunt permit tags in unfilled hunt areas, as specified in the hunt permit-tag application schedule published annually by the Department." When you drew your unit 22 tag, you were a successful applicant. Although you don't have to go through another draw process to obtain a leftover tag, you do have to fill out and submit an application to obtain a leftover tag. I don't understand why a person can hunt with a bow in January and August, hunt a rifle tag in the general season, and then hunt again with a bow in December if they haven't taken a deer during one of the previous three hunts, but a rifle hunter only gets one shot at it, even when there are leftover tags going to waste . . . but I don't make the rules. Hopefully you, unlike me, hunt with a bow and can go back out in December! Good luck.