Coach

Huge Bucks

Not that long ago, it seems every year there would be a few high 90's bucks killed, and a couple over 100 inches. Some even into the teens. I would hear stories about that elusive 117" buck that got away.

In the last couple years, there are multiple bucks in the high 120's, even 130's and beyond. Just this year alone, there are threads about a young guy who killed a 138 buck, pix floating around of one in the high 140's to 150's, San Carlos bucks over 140, not to mention the monster taken last year on the Ft. Apache rez that if memory serves was in the 160 class. Normal guys and gals are killing bucks over 120 inches on what seems like a regular basis.

I've never seen a legitimate 120" buck on the hoof after hunting AZ and NM for 20+ years. 5 years ago, a single buck over 120", anywhere in the state, would have seemed amazing.

So, I'm wondering, are there really more huge bucks being taken in recent years, or is it just because the internet makes it so accessible to see all these deer, have they always been here? Or is there some kind of trend of "super bucks" that we're seeing right now?

They were there, they were being killed, you didn't hear about them. Also blown up gross scores get exagerrated as well. I would bet if looking at actual net Boone and Crockett entries from Arizona the amount entered every year has not shot up as much as you think from say the 1980's until now. Any sort of increase in entries from Arizona could probably be attributed to the fact that a select few seriously hunted Coues deer 20 years ago, and even less people seriously hunted them 30 years and so on.

Bret

Those are some great questions Coach. I have been thinking the same thing since becoming a member of this site last year. I'm sure a lot has to do with genetics and rainfall etc., etc. However, the harvest part has a lot to do with improved optics and glassing methods as well as the long range shooting craze. I can remember when long range was 200 yards and I still haven't taken anything past 250 myself. That's not to say that I'm not working on it and as an avid shooter and reloader I definitely like the concept. Love to hear what others might have to say cuz I gotta tell ya, I'm right there with ya. Where the heck are these monsters coming from?

Better optics, better tri-pods, better laser rangefinders, longer range rifles (guys are finally starting to figure out how to take advantage of them), droughts have not been as bad in recent years, decent game managment, guys have more patience these days, 1 hunter typically has several non-hunters to spot for him these days, backpacking into wilderness areas have become more popular, trail camera popularity, salting etc....

All that said, the big bucks have always been there. Guys are starting to figure out how to find and kill them and having the patience to hold out for the big one. Tight nit internet based groups like this one draw them out for all to see.

Just my .02

M

My take on it was that there have been big bucks taken every year, but now with the age of the computer, digital camera, and hunting talk forums, the pictures get distributed more... so you see more of them...

dont forget all the feeders - piles of corn - and all the other goodies hunters put out so these guys will produce better antlers!

true we had an excellent rain and the deer habitate is having a bumper yr. --

they eat better they grow bigger !!

I agree with 308nut. and yes some amazing bucks have been taken recently but I also think a lot of people don't know what a 120 class buck looks like. Were those earlier scores mentioned scores gross or net, BC or SCI? And i had a guy come into an archery shop I used to frequent that showed us pictures of his 108 buck. The pics were legit the thing was a toad, but when he brought the skull in and we taped it, it was 96...

I think its people being generous with their tapes, but I also think optics and rifles have extended our awareness of animals beyond their capacity to sense our presence and move over the next hill.

I think 308nut hit it on the head. And also to those who suggested Coues deer being a much more popular animal to hunt. The "stretching the tape" theory is harder for me to swallow. Does it happen? Sure it does. But few and far between when a 120+ buck hits the dirt. And honestly, who throws out the Net score of an antlered animal these days anyway? Funny how most people will agree that an animal deserves all of the inches that he grew until another 130" buck is killed with 20" of trash hanging. Like ANY of us would call it a 110" buck..... I've come to terms with it, guys, I shot a dink last year...... :P

I think some is game management, more water ect. Some is definately due to better equipment. I think the biggest is more people who, year after year, hunt coues and get good at it. People get addicted to the challenge. I'm sure I would like rut archery elk hunting if it didnt take me 10 years to get a tag. I like rifle hunting for coues. I like glassing. It is how I prefer to hunt, its addicting. The 130+ bucks, I think, are mostly luck, and are the products of better management. Some one is in the right place at the right time. I've glassed 2 bucks in the 120s in my life. Both were when I was looking for a different animal to hunt. People can do their home work and consistantly kill big bucks, 100+. No one is going hunting sayin, "I'm holding out for that 140 this year :blink:. Sope is also due to the internet. Years ago people could keep a 130 buck quiet. Now, if it hits the ground some one is texting or emailing a large contact list about it.

I know a bunch of "ol timers" who killed big bucks. No one knows about them. One guy in particular, told me he walked ridges and killed bucks, never really glassed and he has over 30 mounts on the wall and a bunch of 100+ antlers piled around. Some high 120's and quite a few teen bucks. One of the most impressive group of Coues I've ever seen. He was one of the few that hunted them 50 years ago. I believe because of the more popularity and the internet has made it seem like more big bucks than normal get killed every year. Like has been said they always have been there, just more talked about now.

It is something that has gotten my attention also. There were many ideas posted that are probably right on. However, I don't think that "good game management" is one of the contributing factors. With all the extra hunts that G&F has thrown at the resource, it makes it all the more amazing that these monster bucks are showing up! Those bucks aren't going to get to the age that it takes by being in country that has 6 differant rifle hunts and 2-3 months of archery hunting. They must come out of country that sees very few hunters during the year.

This is a discussion I have had several times with my hunting buddies. 25 years ago, we would talk all year about 90 inch bucks, and dream of someday getting a 100 incher. Now, 100 inch is not some mystical animal we are sure we will someday find. I remember when a guy from town shot one about 105 inches, everybody "knew" it was a cross bred muley because coues just don't get that big.

I think there are many factors which have already been mentioned, but to me the most significant are trail cams and the culture of hunting which is driven largely by the internet and sites like this.

If you have a couple large bucks, say 110ish, that keep posing for your game camera, it makes it much easier to pass up that 90 inch buck and you are motivated to work harded for what you know is around somewhere.

Also, when a big buck was taken years ago, the stories spread, usually in the local area, but so did the skepticizm. Now, that big buck is on everybody's cell phone in a matter of a few hours. A picture is truely worth a thousand words.

Additionally, through sites like this one, many hunters are better educated on the animals, techniques, and equipment. I look at my son who is 16 years old. His knowledge and skill are higher than mine was at twice that age. I had the desire, but did not have the resourses to learn how to hunt coues. I was pretty much limited to reading about Eastern whitetails in magazines like Outdoor Life, and trying to apply that in the desert.

Everybody has their theory, but are there any facts to back it up? Has there been an increase in the entries into Boone and Crocket? How about the field checks done by wildlife managers, are they showing an increased average?

Great topic Coach, should make for interesting reading for a while.

I think that it is because they are making the diesel trucks more silent. They are making guns shoot farther, and if all else fails it might just be George W. Bush's fault. :P