Sign in to follow this  
coueschaser3

2010 87" two point

Unfortunately I had not been able to financially afford to scout for this hunt. But it was my Dads first deer hunt and I wanted to make it a memorable experience for him whether tags were filled or not. I happend to have saturday off to hunt but would not be able to get back out till monday and he wouldnt be able to until that tuesday. So saturday morning I set out to a fairly strange place to be seeing Coues but I had happened to glass quite a few up while hunting my pronghorn tag earlier in the year.

After a short hike a mere half mile from I 17 and no hunters in sight, a great occurance on opening weekend, I started glassing up Coues immediately. First was a nice little buck half hidden behind a saquaro, probably and 80" buck. It was tempting but I also wanted to have my dad there so I passed the buck, along with his spike and forky companions. But felt good that i was glassing up good deer yet was hunting about 2500" elevation. The rest of the day was uneventful until evening when the spike presented himself giving a very tempting cake walk shot. But again dad was not there and it was a spike and he was WAY down in a canyon.

Monday I hit my typical haunts but there were many hunters as figured. Glassed up alot of elk...good to know... in a place I failed to look on my bull tag two years ago...figures. The glassing was going slow and just kept glassing elk. After a conversation with a buddy and second guessing where I should go next, most of my holes are quite a hike and my dad was not to thrilled about packin out after dark or screwin himself up, I decided to check out a place my buddy suggested and I had never been.

Well after a LONG dirt road drive we arrived a little late, being that it was getting toward bedding time I stopped early to glass a slope off the road and found a few does and then a good buck. We watched him a while and decided he was a taker. After a discussion my dad said I should take him and he would take the next. Also it looked like it was going to be a fairly long shot, and he was much more content taking a 300 yard or less shot. The stalk is not much of a story I had mentioned if i get him under 400 yards ill take him. A few washes later and a small rise I ranged him at 450 and still feeding, another fifty yards and ranged at 398. I set up the pack and got down behind the 300 wby a.k.a "THUMPER" and waited for him to clear the bush he was behind. Five minutes and he stepped out...BOOOM!!!! Upon recover I saw my dust cloud a hair high and the buck ran 10 yards but offered a better shot and a way better look at the rack! I was really excited he looked huge from that angle, at that point I had already had another round in and my second notch in my B&C reticle a hair below his back, squeezing of the round...Thumper boomed and jumped, this time on recover I saw a leg kick and my buck was down!

We got up to the buck and got alot of great pics and I am very happy my dad was there, we went back out the next day and I got my dad on a buck that would have gone around 100", a very beautiful buck. We had a perfect stalk planned and the buck looked stayin put. We closed to 300 yards and I glassed up and saw A deer still there so we set up. BUT!!!! once I got my glass on the tripod I noticed it had no rack! During the stalk a vehicle had driven by and must have pushed him and a doe just happened to bed in the exact same spot during our stalk. Ahhh well. We were happy with my one buck and now he is excited for next year to take on his Coues buck.

post-2043-1289084023_thumb.jpg

post-2043-1289084033_thumb.jpg

post-2043-1289084041_thumb.jpg

Another Great 2 point! Love these things...gotta get me one!

Congratulations!!!

Amanda, It has a huge brown one across the tailgate I just happened to be sitting on it. I actually regretted not getting a picture with the tailgate up. Thanks for the congratulations all.

Sweet!