Let me start out by saying Cory, my 14 year old brother doesnt have near the hunting passion I do. He has been shooting for a long time and recently was one of only two people in his JROTC class to win the award "marksman" but he has never really had the desire to hunt.

A couple of months ago, Scott and I put in for this weekend off to go to Houston, Tx to pick up our African trophies... They havent even left Africa yet. Since I had the time, I asked my dad and brother if they wanted to get left over tags. My dads answer was "of course" and much to my surprise, Cory agreed to it as well and said he would like to go deer hunting. I JUMPED at the chance!

A few years ago I bought him a .243 that he shoots often, but I wouldnt call it "sighted in" so we (I) opted for him to use my .257 wby aka Chupacabra.

He had an event for JROTC Saturday morning, so after a couple hours of that, him and my dad were on their way down south, only about 25 minutes to me headed to a place in 36b we havent really hunted much but know it holds some good deer. We get there Saturday evening, quickly set up camp and Cory and I head out to glass for a few hours before the sun goes down... Well, much to my dismay we dont see a single deer. I was in shock, disappointed, and worried but I knew the exact area we were glassing had to hold deer! It was too good not too!

Early the next morning, off we go. We had a predetermined glassing point from the day before. We get there about 20 minutes later than we should have, as I underestimated how steep and nasty this hill was! A whopping 5 minutes after we get to the top of the hill, we head down as I immediately glass up a spike and we are after it! We get to the ridge we need to be but I think we were too loud and he is nowhere in sight.

Once we cant locate the spike, we move to the top of that ridge and I start glassing. I glass up a few more deer, all skin heads. at 930 I glass up a lone doe at 638 yards and I watch her because I doubt she is alone. About 5 minutes go by and I can see two more deer behind a dead oak tree above her and to her right. Through the oak tree I am pretty sure I can see antlers on one of the deer, but I wanted to make sure it wasnt a limb. He moved his head a few times and it was game on!

I was raning different knobs below us, and I knew we could get to 400 easily and knew with Cory's ability to shoot and my rifle 400 was a cake walk.

We go straight at these deer, being out of sight for most of the time and get to where we need to be. 425 yards. I immediately find one of the bucks standing right where I last saw him. As soon as I spot him, he takes one step and disappears. I assumed they had laid down as it was getting warm. Cory and I move about 25 yards closer and to a different angle. As soon as we set up I can see ears/neck/head/ANTLERS of a deer laying there. I tell Cory where he was, but he couldnt find it through the scope. Once he looks through my binos he could see him and had no problem finding him in the scope. Cory is laying prone with my bipod out and I ask him if he thinks he can make the shot at the deer bedded, we opt not to do that.

I thought we might be in for a few hours of waiting on the buck to stand, but he was already half way in the sun so I thought we might get lucky. While we are waiting for the buck to stand, Cory and I go over shot placement, the feel of the trigger on my gun and other pregame preperation.

All of a sudden the buck stands! I see him as he stands up and I tell Cory hes up! Can you see him? "Yes" Put one in and kill him! He cycles a round, I hear him let out half a breath and I see the bullet go right over the bucks back. "He hasnt moved, put another one in and hold a touch lower." The second shot absoluletely hammers him! Drops him straight down and leaves him kicking for about 5 seconds. I yell louder than I ever have, and get the shakes more than I ever have minus killing my lion at 25 feet.

After a few high fives and hugs (and one VERY proud big brother holding back tears of joy) we walk over there. And find his shot absolutely perfect. Through the top of the shoulder, takes out the plumbing above the heart and the lungs are jelly.

That moment in time is among the very best of mine in my hunting career and not likely to ever drop. I am so proud of my little brother I can not put it into words.

Now on to the good stuff:

Here is the other buck wondering what just happened to his buddy

CorysDeer001.jpg

Basically straight up from that bucks rear hip is where Corys deer is laying down dead he was standing between the two green bushes.

CorysDeer002.jpg

CorysDeer008.jpg

CorysDeer006.jpg

And of course, the traditional war paint of the blood from one's first big game kill:

IMG00038-20101107-1127.jpg

We then loaded the buck whole into my backpack and headed back to camp. It was a fairly easy hike out, but 1.5-2 miles with about 130 pounds (all my stuff and a whole deer) gets rough and let me tell you, my shoulders are feeling it today but it was 100% worth it and I would gladly do it again!

That's what it's all about right there!!!!! Great job helping out your brother and great write up.

I was in 36B about two weeks ago and I got my first deer.

Congrats to ya Cory! Now draw an elk tag next fall and let big brother pack out something heavy ;)

Doug~RR

Doug, I guess I should say that deer weighed probably 100 pounds or so on the hoof.... and about 500 in my pack! I love my Eberlestock, but holy heck do the straps leave something to be desired!