Sign in to follow this  
Santana Outdoors

Is tihs a Big Black Bear?

I have always gone off of if the ears look small and the belly is close to the ground. from that pic he looks pretty good. I have only shot one bear, so I am no expert . Also...I have noticed that most Black Bears in Arizona are not black, I have seen many more lighter shades, I like the black more than the cinnamon or chocolate colors..... just my .02!

that's a young bear, he may be big in size but still young! We all have seen 15 year old (human) teenagers from the size of 4ft tall to 6 foot tall, genetics play a big role in an animals size. It is hard to say whether the bear is big or small but the ears says that the bear is a young one.

that's a young bear, he may be big in size but still young! We all have seen 15 year old (human) teenagers from the size of 4ft tall to 6 foot tall, genetics play a big role in an animals size. It is hard to say whether the bear is big or small but the ears says that the bear is a young one.

Good call on the ears!! he looks big in size but he might not score well. depends on the hunter/client if it what he/she wants....

If the ears are on the side of the head so they look like Alfred E. Newman they are older - and generally bigger.

Then again I'm no bear hunter, they pretty much have to try and rob my cooler to get shot by me.

+1

I also am no expert, but have seen, and have been told if the ears look real small next to the head it is a larger older bear, those ears look pretty big, so I would have to concur with everyone else.

only true black colored black bears i've seen is up in the pines like you said most of them are cinnamon or brown colored. i would agree with elkhunter he looks young compared to other pics of bears, but really looks healthy.

looks like small piece missing from his ear.

nice pictures