Sign in to follow this  
DCMHunter

50% on lrftover November Tags

My brother-in-law and I decided to pick up a couple of the left over tags for one of the november hunts after not drawing a Kiabab or December tag. I had never hunted the area before and my brother-in-law had not been in the area for over 20 years. My brother-in-law made it down from WI. a couple of days before the hunt and went into the area and got camp set up and did a little scouting. I was not able to leave until the night before the hunt and got into camp at around 10:00pm. Opening morning we went to an area and set up to glass and immediately saw deer. We had watched 3 does work there way along a ridge to an area we thought they were going to bed in and then noticed 3 bucks following them along the same trail. We decided to relocate to an area to intercept the bucks if they continued to follow the does. When we got set up we watched the bucks go behind a tree on the ridge and was ready for them when they came out the other side as the does did, but they never showed up. The three bucks decided to cross the ridge insted of following the does any longer and that was the last we saw them. That evening we spotted another buck but was unable to close the distance to him before dark. First day 18 deer with 4 bucks.

The second day was a little slower as we only saw about 8 does. But on the third day we were working up a trail and spotted a doe and fawn across the draw. We classed the area for a long time and could find no other deer in the area. My brother-in-law decided to work up the ridge and then come back down the draw to try and flush something out. As he was working up the ridge I spotted a buck coming down the other side. As I was getting set up to shot the buck dropped into a small saddle out of site from me so I was waiting for him to come back into view when I here BOOM, BOOM Buck Down. My brother-in-law who was up on the ridge could still see him and dropped him.

As this was left-over tags neither one of us were holding out for a monster and he got a nice little buck. Unfortionately we never saw another buck the hole trip. We did still see lots of does and fawns. I will try to get another leftover tag in this unit again if I don't draw. 50% success in a unit that only has about 30%

post-652-1289853446_thumb.jpg

post-652-1289853533_thumb.jpg

DCM

Very nice. That is a pretty big little buck there. I expected to see a little fork horn or something. But he has some nice mass. And anytime you can beat the normal percentage of success it is a good hunt.

That buck is THICK. I think that makes that very respectable rack look small. I wonder what he weighed. Congrats.

Lee

Good job!