Sign in to follow this  
talltines

Stand hunting vs. still hunting (archery)

Hey guys and gals... I'm new to Arizona and wondering if I should set up a deer stand or still hunt the archery coues season. I'll be in the higher elevations around 7000-7500' near the Pinal Peak. I've hunted whitetail in Minnesota for about 25 years and have hunted in deerstands accompanied by rattling and buck grunting to lure the big bucks in. Do you think I can be successful in the mountain environment with this approach? Pre-thanking for the input. :)

Thanks Oneshot! I was out scouting for a couple days and located some nice spots with quite a bit of sign. The deer tracks here are so small... reminds me of a fawn track back in Minnesota. I put out about 15 lbs. of course mineral salt along with 50 lbs. of corn and set my trail camera up to see if there are any nice bucks in the area. Hiked up the mountain with all that for about 3/4 of a mile... whewww! I managed to see 9 deer and heard one snort at me as it departed as well. I think a climbing deerstand will suit me pretty well in the pines. I would rather have a tree saddle by trophy line, but can't find a medium anywhere. Thanks again... I have a few more questions I will be posting soon.

It took me a years to make the transition from midwest tree stand whitetail hunting to hunting out west. I am also from Minnesota, and have been here since 2002. Hunting out here compared to there is a night and day difference. It is sooo much more difficult in my opinion hunting a non-guided, DIY public land western bowhunt here than it is to hunt back home.

It took me a years to make the transition from midwest tree stand whitetail hunting to hunting out west. I am also from Minnesota, and have been here since 2002. Hunting out here compared to there is a night and day difference. It is sooo much more difficult in my opinion hunting a non-guided, DIY public land western bowhunt here than it is to hunt back home.

One positive difference I've noticed with my first set of trailcam images is the deer move during daylight much more in Arizona vs. Minnesota. I have multiple shots of bucks on hoof between 10:00am- 2:00pm, which doesn't happen outside of the heat of the rut in MN. I am used to hunting high in tree in transition areas between bed and food sources. I'm quick to learn and have noticed that in the higher elevations (pines and oaks) the deer like area where there is a convergence of different ridges. I think hanging a stand high in this type of area will produce results.

I'm very open to suggestions and would love to hear some insight from what you've learned over the years of making your transition. I agree if you have access to good land in Minnesota it can be pretty easy to fill a tag, although getting a trophy buck is another story.

I don't know about Minn. but deer densities in AZ is about 1 buck per 3-5miles depending on season and area your hunting. It could be better or worse in some areas. In Jan. I could bet if you find a good concentration of does you'll eventually cross a buck. Coues deer does and bucks are very skittish animals. Any noise, sight or smell they're gone. But I find when at the peak of the rut in Jan. bucks tend to be less aware and more focused on the rut. The best stalking or still-hunting oppurtunities I've found are single bucks cruising/bird dogging for a hot doe. Thats actually all I look for when Bowhunting. I don't care how good you could be at stalking, you'll most often get busted by the does. I will usually watch or follow at a distance and plan an ambush or stalk accordingly. I took my best buck during the rut at 21yds. But I waited for the best time which was at noon. I basically watched the buck all morning until it bedded up. Moved slowly, took my time and stepped each time with the wind to cover any noise. If your serious about stalking invest in some booties. Booties are simply slip-ons or overboot made to absorb or deaden noise under foot. I use wadding booties intended for rafting/surfing but adapted it for hunting. Its made of neoprene with a thin rubber sole and works excellent for the final 80yds stalk.

Hope this helps ya out and good luck man. And remember "pick a spot".

I don't know about Minn. but deer densities in AZ is about 1 buck per 3-5miles depending on season and area your hunting. It could be better or worse in some areas. In Jan. I could bet if you find a good concentration of does you'll eventually cross a buck. Coues deer does and bucks are very skittish animals. Any noise, sight or smell they're gone. But I find when at the peak of the rut in Jan. bucks tend to be less aware and more focused on the rut. The best stalking or still-hunting oppurtunities I've found are single bucks cruising/bird dogging for a hot doe. Thats actually all I look for when Bowhunting. I don't care how good you could be at stalking, you'll most often get busted by the does. I will usually watch or follow at a distance and plan an ambush or stalk accordingly. I took my best buck during the rut at 21yds. But I waited for the best time which was at noon. I basically watched the buck all morning until it bedded up. Moved slowly, took my time and stepped each time with the wind to cover any noise. If your serious about stalking invest in some booties. Booties are simply slip-ons or overboot made to absorb or deaden noise under foot. I use wadding booties intended for rafting/surfing but adapted it for hunting. Its made of neoprene with a thin rubber sole and works excellent for the final 80yds stalk.

wrestling shoes work great for stocking as well. i dont know how much the ones you wear are but i buy a new pair for hunting and wrestling practice every year for thirty bucks at big five.

Thanks Oneshot! I was out scouting for a couple days and located some nice spots with quite a bit of sign. The deer tracks here are so small... reminds me of a fawn track back in Minnesota. I put out about 15 lbs. of course mineral salt along with 50 lbs. of corn and set my trail camera up to see if there are any nice bucks in the area. Hiked up the mountain with all that for about 3/4 of a mile... whewww! I managed to see 9 deer and heard one snort at me as it departed as well. I think a climbing deerstand will suit me pretty well in the pines. I would rather have a tree saddle by trophy line, but can't find a medium anywhere. Thanks again... I have a few more questions I will be posting soon.

Welcome! I would have to recommend treewalker treestands for climbing stands. They fit large trees well and are light weight and very comfortable. They may be a little pricey but I know they are made in america, funding legal americans. To me it is worth every penny! Good Luck!

Great information! Thanks. I intend on sitting in a ground blind or up in a tree on a well used travel corridor and wait for the deer to move through. If this method doesn't produce results I will do some rattling, if that fails I may have to head for lower elevations and do the spot and stalk method. If I do, I will use some type of bootie or just my socks if I must for the last 80-100 yards.

Rattling horns IMO for coues is tough deal for a single bowhunter. It may get an attention of a young buck but most mature bucks just tend to ignore the rattling that I've seen. I've lived in AZ all my life and I can honestly tell ya I have never heard a buck fight with a heavy clashing of antlers. These animals are small and ya almost have to be rite on'em to hear antlers clashing. Most often its a big shoving match between bucks with breaking branches, rolling rocks, stomping, bucks grunting/balling and chasing each other. Remember they rely on scent first. If they do investigate its usually downwind from rattling location.

I've had more luck with the "doe-in-a-can" bleat call than rattling. But then again I focus on single bucks in the rut. Get the wind right be patient and call. Hope this helps.

Try some tinks 69 doe in heat scent, it brought the Buck I shot last Jan. on a dead run to my blind. You never know what will work it takes the right buck in the right mood. good Luck.

mark