standman

(Jan. Hunt-Success!)Updated Deer/Scrape Pics

:D Success pics on page 4.

I went and checked my camera that I had on the scrape line that I had pics of last week. Had 6 different bucks come through. Nothing to big but they are all just right for my dad who is past the trophy hunting stage and is now in the if it is legal it is good enough for me stage. Put the blind up and we will be in it tomorrow morning at daylight. Will update tomorrow evening how the hunt goes. Two new scrapes showed up also. Here are some pics.

Brian

1209001404.jpg

1209001404a.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

09.jpg

07.jpg

Pic of the blind.

1209001408.jpg

Looks like a great set up, have you noticed any pre-rut activity?

Looks like a great set up, have you noticed any pre-rut activity?

The only pre rut activity I have seen is the scrapes and rubs. I have yet to see a deer in person in this area yet. Going to change that tomorrow. :D

Wow! I'm not near as impressed with the deer as I am the fantastic job you did camoing your blind in. Only problem is you've limited your visibility and shooting options by doing such a good job. Lol. If you can contain your scent as well as the blind, you are in for a splendid hunt hey. Good luck and I hope a heavy racked buck walks in front of that SWEET blind arrangement!

Wow! I'm not near as impressed with the deer as I am the fantastic job you did camoing your blind in. Only problem is you've limited your visibility and shooting options by doing such a good job. Lol. If you can contain your scent as well as the blind, you are in for a splendid hunt hey. Good luck and I hope a heavy racked buck walks in front of that SWEET blind arrangement!

I've got the two biggest, main scrapes 20 yards in front of the window with the main trail going by at the same distance. I only like one window open because that helps contain scent. Hopefully it will work. In the last 6 days a buck has come by in 5 of the 6, and all in daylight.

It was my dads birthday Dec. 7 (72 years old) so hopefully this will turn out to be a real good present.

Brian

That's Good looking set up! B)

I hope your dad gets a nice 72nd Birthady present !

That's Good looking set up! B)

I hope your dad gets a nice 72nd Birthady present !

+1

and thanks for the update...can't wait to see the pics tomorrow.

I was out today and put up a trail cam on a fresh scrape. Hope I get as much action as you have been getting.

Well we are back after sitting in the blind today. It was a bitter sweet day. Everything worked perfect. We had a two point come in perfect, 20 yards broadside. My dad got ready, drew his bow and released. That is when the buck came unglued. By the time the arrow got there he had completely whirled with his butt to us and the arrow passed right by the side of him. Arrow would of been perfect if he would of stood still. So it was a missed opportunity but a fun one. Amazing how quick those little devils are even at that close range and with fast bows. Seen it happen before and it will probably happen again. We won't be out tommorrow (going fishing to Roosey :) ) but we will make back on Sunday.

Brian

Well we didnt make it out on Sunday, neither of us felt good so we didnt go. We went this morning. Well I don't know quite what to say. Thirteen minutes after daylight a nice buck came in, everything was perfect, 20 yards broadside. My dad shot a little high, the buck also ducked a little and the arrow flew right over his back. My dad was just beside himself that he missed. Anyway, 45 minutes later a spike comes in, quartering away, and at 18 yards. My dad shoots 5 inches over his back. My dad is now just sick. We decide to leave to figure out why he is shooting so high at deer and not at targets. Both bucks were not scared at all after the shot, they both just ran 10 yards went up the trail did their thing and fed off. This isnt something I am used to seeing my dad do (he has killed 71 archery deer). Still a lot of fun though. We will work things out and get after it again in a couple days.

Brian

71 ARCHERY deer? Wow. I hope to kill 71 deer period!

They start adding up in a hurry when you hunt 4 or 5 states for years.

I'm hoping to catch him, I'm over a third of the way there.

Brian