Tines

What hunting ISN'T.........

I'm not a land expert by any means but there are a ton of different types of land in this state. Just because one branch won't let you shoot on their land doesn't mean that others won't. Don't forget there is BLM, forest, state trust and I'm sure there are other types too. It would be interesting to see what all of them had to say about shooting a gun on their land. I have no idea what the laws are regarding that. I would probably have to ask for forgiveness.

Later,

recurveman

Bill,

thanks for the link to site. Lots of great info and stuff I assumed, but did not Know!

az4life,

Your welcome.

recurveman,

I too am not an expert. I know that in recent years the Land Dept. has been more aggressive in collecting fees for activities that had previously been over looked. The Land Dept. is the only agencey that states on their State Trust Land signs that target shooting is not allowed, at least that I know of. It seems to be a common misconception that Sate Trust Land is public land.

Bill

Bill, enlightening for sure! I obviously stand corrected. Guess I need to get my facts straight prior to running my mouth.... ;) Thanks for the link; No doubt I'll need to be more careful what I do on trust lands in the future.

Hey Casey, is that how a 'ya hoo' dresses? Thanks for the tip, now I'll know one next time I see one. :lol:

S.

Nice Buck! You are lucky that you can go hunting with your dad. Mine stopped hunting just before I was old enough to go, and I have never been hunting with him yet. I still try to get him to come out for a hunt occasionally, but no luck so far, not even to hunt with his grandson.

That being said, I am sorry you had such a bad experience. As with most of the people on this site, I have seen these problems, or know people who have also experienced the "campers from hades".

We cannot change our fellow man. The only thing we can change is how we react to him, and whether we let him dictate how much enjoyment we get from our hunt.

He has a right to be in the forest, he has a right to ride his quad, he has a right to target practice, and he has a right to hunt quail when that season is open. I sincerely hope you do not let his actions control your enjoyment of the hunt. The time you have for that hunt is too limited for that.

Some things to keep in mind...

The jerks will not travel very far from good roads, nor will they hike very far to look for deer or quail. Even the riders on quads will generally stay on the good improved roads, unless they are road hunting. It is your fault you let him spoil your hunt. If there is a road, you should expect someone to drive on it, and plan your hunting accordingly.

I have found that most hunters in the field are generally friendly, and will avoid spoiling your hunt if they know you are there. If they do not know you are there, you cannot reasonably expect them to stay out of the area can you?

Your dad got a nice buck, that in itself should make this a very good hunt. Stressing yourself over the actions of others will give you health problems, and is not something to teach your children when you take them to the field.

Sorry if this sounds like preaching, but I am somewhat concerned when people sound as if it should be my responsibility to ensure their lives are wonderful.

Bret

Tines - I sure know how you feel, just last Saturday I was out doing some predator calling and had all these mule deer hunters walking all over the area I was calling in. Since I wasn't having any luck in calling decided I'd get some small game hunting in, sure as heck more deer hunters to ruin MY hunt. Can't understand the nerve of some people.

All joking aside I do understand your problem and have encountered it while WT hunting and it does make me mad also, but as some of the others have stated, varmint and small game hunting is in and it is legal to be out there. As to the loud music and shooting I think that is unexcusable and would have told them so and also taken license plate numbers and reported them.

Congrats to your dad, very nice buck.

Thanks again for the compliments and also the advice. I'm better now. I am greatful that I could hunt with my dad. Not many out there can do such a thing. Thanks for helping me remember that. It was an eye-opener for him also, beings that he hasn't hunted in awhile. I'm off on a November hunt in the same unit this weekend. We're headed to some hills that don't have many roads and don't see many hunters even during the early hunts. Should be fun. Hoping to find and tie down the biggun' we've been seeing. Good luck to all those who have the 2nd hunt.

I didn't read all the posts...Good crap there's alot of them. Anyway, I may repeat what has already been said. I agree completely with the idea of inconsiderate hunters shooting at night, playing music load, etc. That's garbage and I hope anyone reading in this forum doesn't participate in those activities. We have to take into consideration also that other hunts coincide with deer hunts. We should always give the "right of way" to the deer hunter in my opinion, as they have one large animal to find and harvest. Varmits and quail can be found nearly anywhere, anytime. We have to share hunting grounds. Be considerate. Good luck on your upcoming hunts this weekend!