RodinAZ

2011 Coues hunt, which unit?

I'm starting my research early so I can decide where I want to apply for next season.

I've hunted 36A for the past three years with good success, but without seeing many deer and smallish

antlers being the norm.

I know there is decent deer in every unit but I'd like a realistic opportunity to harvest something in the 100" class.

I was thinking 33, 22, 23, 24A & B. Any suggestions on where to begin my search?

Rod

Which of the units you are considering is the best for scouting? Meaning how much time can you give each of those units. From what I've seen, the best chance at a 100+ deer comes from how much scouting time a guy can put into a given unit. You've mentioned several, and I can tell you that every one of them has the kind of deer you are looking for.

Don't get too tied up in the "which unit" question, as picking one that is close to you that you can spend some time in to find the bigger bucks before the season.

If you spend much time on this forum, I think you'll see that most of the big bucks didn't just show up on opening day. Most of them get taken by guys who have picked out an area that they know will hold big bucks, have scouted for a long time, and usually, the bigger bucks are deer they have been watching for a long time.

It's not so much about which unit you should hunt, but what you do in the unit you pick to make the best chances for your hunt.

More 100 inchers in 36 then all the others you named. Stay there and keep lookin.

Guest super jumbo
Its all about spending time in the field. The more you get out and scout, the better your hunt will be.

+1. Scouting hard in any unit will produce big deer. I think the southern units hold tons of 100 inch deer. Every time we go down to 33 to bow hunt in january its amazing how many 100 plus deer we see. 24 a and b have giant deer in them also. The deer numbers in 22, 23, 24(a&B) seem to be much much lower than the numbers in 36 and 33, or any southern unit for that matter. Its all about scouting and overall i think finding a 100 inch deer is easier in the southern units cause of the deer density down there. My 2 cents.

I agree that scouting is the key to success, unfortunately I don't live close to any certain unit that has a Coues deer season. I'm looking at atleast a two hour drive from Chandler and with the economy, family, work and kids activities, its hard to break away to properly scout a particular spot, let alone a complete unit.

I'm planning on heading out predator hunting in January, February and maybe March so I'll get an idea of which unit(s) I want to apply in.

Consequently, I have two friends hunting unit 36A late season right now. They have seen a grand total of two bucks in the last 6 days, a 3X3 and a spike. Ofcourse, there are many variables to consider, can they properly glass, do they know what to look for, are they moving around, are they glassing all day, the answer is yes to all those questions. But if the deer aren't up when they are glassing, chances are they won't see them. This is not to say there are no legal deer in 36A, there is, they are just good at not being seen apparently.

Thanks for your replies as I appreciate your input.

Try to get out and about in January. Even if you don't archery hunt being out during the rut is the best time to locate bigger bucks. Once you find a bigger buck it will give you a place to start looking later on in the season. They don't usually move to far. Plus actually seeing a big buck will give you the confidence to stay behind those glasses for days, yes I said days not hours. He's there somewhere you just don't see him but if you glass long enough he will make a mistake and show himself.

If your in Chandler than you can be in 24b within a half hour. I haven't personally hunted it but have been there helping friends and it is not a long drive at all. So scouting there shouldn't be an issue.

Honestly if you can spend time out for predator hunting, you can spend time scouting. The hunt truly is what you make of it. I was drawn for unit 27, 6 hours away. Spent one weekend scouting before the hunt, and guess what? Bust. I have learned that you need to spend a good amount of field time before the hunt. You have the rest of the season to get out and check areas out. My opinon, take it for what its worth.

well - you could buy, read and interpret Duane and Tony's book for yourself. I just pulled it off from the shelf and my interpretation of what was written is as follows:

6A and 27 are units with best monster potential (120+).

36B is the best public unit in the state for big bucks.

Hello. well if you want to go to a good area then you need to go to 30A unit . not alot of people go in this unit cus limited acess but if you want to now a good area . Is the dos cabezas MT it 25 min out of wilcox. the one area that i know is happy cayon . Me my self got my friest white tail buck he scored 96 and where i got him was at about 5,000 ft every one els i seen in this area did not want to go high but i did and got him on the sconed day . But i will tell you that its very rough but theres alot of open grass lands and some thick areas to . The one thing that this unit has over all the other unites is no one likes going there and the buckes keep on getting bigger every year . some of the biggest buckes are in this unite cus the ranchers close all the gates . but if you dont mind walking and bone out your buck you will get a monster buck

post-4926-1293825440_thumb.jpg