RodinAZ

2011 Coues hunt, which unit?

Sundevil,

I'm not that familiar with 6A and 27, are there accessibility issues in that unit?

36B sounds like a great unit as I've heard tell many quality bucks have been harvested in that area. I may have to look at that a little closer.

az4life83,

Congrats on the nice buck, do you know what the deal is with the loss of hair on the hide?

Sundevil,

I'm not that familiar with 6A and 27, are there accessibility issues in that unit?

36B sounds like a great unit as I've heard tell many quality bucks have been harvested in that area. I may have to look at that a little closer.

az4life83,

Congrats on the nice buck, do you know what the deal is with the loss of hair on the hide?

Unit 27 is mostly wilderness area, so you can not drive off road as it is closed off to mechanical use, chainsaws, bikes, quads etc. You will have to hike or travel by horse into the area so be aware of that. I was down in Blue for the october hunt and spent most of our time in along the river and the canyons around the wilderness area. I would say the areas further west of the unit have good areas. I have seen pictures of some monsters that came out of the area we were so they are there. You will need to put some miles on your boots there for sure.

36A can be a really good unit...we usually pass up on quite a few spikes and forks trying to get on some of the larger ones. This year was no exception and saw 3 nice bucks on the last day but couldn't connect unfortunately. Below are a couple of october deer we took a while back...

post-3911-1294006615_thumb.jpg

post-3911-1294006667_thumb.jpg

What the guys dont want to tell you is 24B is hands down the best unit in the country and close to home. Go get them. I know of a 130 incher living in there right now and Im sure there other big bucks all around. Good Luck :lol: :lol:

I know of a 130 incher living in there right now

Got GPS coordinates for this one? Ha, that sounds like you already know where you are applying

to next season. That would be incredible to take a Coues in that category. When I lived

in Iowa, I'd taken many bucks in the 140-160 range, which are not all that big for Ia. A 130"

Coues would compare to a 200"+ deer back there.

100" bucks can be found in any unit and I would venture to say a monster could come out of any given unit at any given time. Some units will lend themselves to a few more 100"+ bucks than others but in NO unit are they an every hillside let alone around every other tree.

Maybe try and improve your glassing skills and time spent scouting and time in the field. If you are having trouble finding 100" bucks in units you are familiar with, you may have the same trouble finding them in any unit. I know that sounds condesending. I am not trying to be.

Trust me, those bucks are there. You just have to spot them.

M

couple of other things, deer densities vary considerably by unit. one unit on a good day may only produce 5-6 bucks but another unit might produce 15 - 20.

also, land access varies considerably by unit. this could be a good thing or a bad thing considering how you are planning on hunting (backpack vs day hunts).

finally, deer densities do fluctuate over time. a unit that was great 5 years ago may not be as good today (predators, water, management, etc) and vice-versa.

best thing is to hit the topos, hit google earth, hit the road, burn some gas, pop some tires, wear out your boot soles and glass until your eyes are sore. good luck.

I would say the 36's are where you wanna go!! Sooooo many big bucks compared to the 24A's and B's...

Guest 300ultramag.

looking for mature bucks.. (not out in the open spikes and forkies)...switch your glassing techniques.. think bedding areas.. and saddles (ie travel corridors).. when your glassing find a spot that looks like good coues cover.. circle out..from that area.. take ur time..he could be feeding on the other side of the mountain and pop over just to bed.. mature deer are different.. use 10s.. good luck..

okay not to confuse you now.... one of the biggest bucks ive glassed up was out in the open.. :lol: just put in your time.. the great news is... when you see a good buck.. youll know it.. ;)