Sign in to follow this  
little miss Huntn coues

I have a question for all of you

Im doing a science fair project on Which gun is more accurate a 7mm08 or a 30'6? :huh: And i wanted to ask you what your guys opinion is because i have to have 11 research sources and i only have 10...so please write back :D

Thanks B)

There is no set rule on which caliber is more accurate. It all depends on rifle, shooter, bullet, load, distance, SHOOTER, SHOOTER and oh yeah, SHOOTER!

Firstcoues is probably right.

"Accuracy" is mostly a person thing. But if you are asking 'mechanically', then it is probably the one with the least amount of drop in the bullet. But it could also get into the area of which shoots the smallest group without a person involved. The answer to that one will need to come from some one with more technical know-how than I.

Good luck with your project.

C,

It is also has to do with the components (parts) of the gun and how they were put together, as well...some guns are shooters right out of the box, others require a little work to perform... one 7mm-08 might not be as accurate as the next and same with the 30-06's. You would have to shoot several of both caliber, and maker to get a really good test. However you would do well to show and test the drop of the 2 calibers when zero'd at say 100 or 200 yards and shooting out to say 500 by using a sheet of ply wood. Good Luck!

...and Merry Christmas, Kiddo! ;)

Instead of using terms like 'inherently accurate' etc....I like to use words like user friendly and finicky or less finicky.

Short stubby cases are less finicky than long slender ones. More efficient too. Short cases equal shorter actions which are more rigid which lends itself to better potential.

That said, both the 30-06 and the 708 have great accuracy potential. IMHO, the 708 is easier to find good accuracy with and over a wider range of powders and bullets during load development.

There is a reason that the 308 case and similar cases have long been a favorite among many match shooters and law enforcement agencies.

Even with all that in mind, it is much more important to have quality rifle components and that they be assembled properly to ensure good accuracy. A less finicky case will not make a poor rifle shoot to match accuracy standards.

M

There is no set rule on which caliber is more accurate. It all depends on rifle, shooter, bullet, load, distance, SHOOTER, SHOOTER and oh yeah, SHOOTER!

Thats what I thought.....the shooter is in charge.... :D

C,

It is also has to do with the components (parts) of the gun and how they were put together, as well...some guns are shooters right out of the box, others require a little work to perform... one 7mm-08 might not be as accurate as the next and same with the 30-06's. You would have to shoot several of both caliber, and maker to get a really good test. However you would do well to show and test the drop of the 2 calibers when zero'd at say 100 or 200 yards and shooting out to say 500 by using a sheet of ply wood. Good Luck!

...and Merry Christmas, Kiddo! ;)

Ok thanks :) Merry Christmas!!

Thamks 308nut and ghost hunter....very good info...ill defenitaly use it...same goes for all of you....thanks very much !!! :D :D :D

Science fair judges like visuals. I would suggest a chart that shows the each bullet's trajectory vs line of site. Choose a "basic" laod for each and graph it with some color. Good luck.