Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

2 more dogs

my uncle called last night and asked if i wanted to go calling this morning, so waking up to wind and rain, i about stayed in bed, but decided what else do i have to do, so off we went,

Stand 1 nada

stand 2 calling a big flat and about 7 minutes in caught the first dog coming from about 1/2 mile away, ( i love being able to watch them for awhile) it came in for ever and got to baout 150 yards when i dumped it, about 1 1/2 " behind front shoulder, 55 grain V MAx out of my 223, that thing flopped hard but then got up and ran 150-200 yards befor piling up, at first i thought i had a bad hit, but when i got to it and the 2 foot circle of blood under it i vouldnt belive it had ran so far.

stand 3 nada

stand 4 sage brush cedar bottom, and a dog cam out of the thick stuff to about 125 yards and stopped broad side so i let one fly, square through both shoulders, dropped like a ton of bricks.

stand 5 and 6 nada, wind had really picked up so called it a morning. besides 2 wet coyotes is about all a guy can stand to skin in a day anyway :) dang stinking things :)

tommy

post-2728-1292728397.jpg

How did those VMax perform? I just bought some hoping they would drop bigger dogs but not damage smaller varmints too badly. How were the exit wounds? Did they tear up the fur at all?

antler,

i usually shoot the plain old hornady soft nose bullets, and have had great results with little damage. but when i went to buy some more is all western drug had was the v-max, so i thought i'de give them a try, these are the first 2 dogs i have shot with them, the first dog broad side, about 1 1/2" behind front shoulder @ 150 yards, pencil hole in, 3/4" size out, dog ran apporx 200 yards.....

second dog 125 yards i hit it square on the shoulder blade and had about a 2 1/2" ENTRANCE hole, it hit that shoulder and exploded back out i guess.... and the funny thing was a piece of either bullet or bone exited out the other side about 5 inches back, about the size of a pencil.... so i dont know..... i wasnt real impressed, especailly with the entrance on the second bullet...... like i said i really like the plian old soft nose bullets... but we'll shoot a few more dogs with them and see how they do an a few more ( since i loaded 100 of them)

good luck

tommy

I have went through almost all weights in the v-max line up in .223. All I can say is that I had a two perfect hits in a row with a 60 grain. Small entrance and small exit. I then loaded over 500 rounds of the 60 grain, which I have now shot a lot of critters with. All I can say is that I am going to go back and try some spire points. The V-max puts huge holes in pelts. Wish I wouldnt have loaded so many.

I have went through almost all weights in the v-max line up in .223. All I can say is that I had a two perfect hits in a row with a 60 grain. Small entrance and small exit. I then loaded over 500 rounds of the 60 grain, which I have now shot a lot of critters with. All I can say is that I am going to go back and try some spire points. The V-max puts huge holes in pelts. Wish I wouldnt have loaded so many.

This has been my experience with the vmax also, the balistic tip might be a little better about not blowin em up, but not much, if you dont care about the pelt the good side is they usually put em down.......Dan