coues

Arizona Strip

When the AZGFD began the point system for deer 12 years ago, I had the foresight to jump in at the beginning to have a once-in-a-lifetime chance at a strip tag. I love to hunt coues deer the most, but we have the best mule deer hunting in the world right here in our backyard, and I've always wanted a trophy mule deer as well.

I'm one of 38 residences with maximum points. I'm in a position now where I have a realistic chance of drawing the tag, but I have two problems. 1, I don't have the time to scout/develop the area for myself. It's simply too far, and figure after expenses and time, I might as well higher a guide, which brings me to my second problem. I don't have the $6000 for a six day hunt with a guide.

I spent the last weekend with a gentleman who has hunted the strip many many times. He goes every year and has hunted with almost every guide up there. I picked his brain for 2 days. He really opened my eyes up to the Strip. Just a couple of the things I came away with were, first, they do more tracking than glassing. This blew me away, I haven't done much research on the strip, but I always assumed it was strictly spot and stalk. The second thing he mentioned that really surprised me was, according to him, there is not a mature buck up there that the guides don't know on a first named basis. He said that there are at least two trail cams on every piece of open water north of the Grand Canyon 365 days a year...literally.

He said that every year or two, someone manages to get one of the giants by accident, but to go up there without being connected with a local guide is really rolling the dice.

I'm thinking about bagging it and taking my wife with me on a late season wt hunt next year, but if I do, I'll never get to max points again.

Anyone have any input? Tony? I appreciate all your responses.

I love WT hunting and prefer them to Mulie's any day, however, you have way too many bonus points to throw in the towel on a trophy mule deer hunt. Find a way to do it!!! You can have a late WT tag in another 3-8 years, less in some units.....just my humble opinion.

I am not sure if you can buy a bonus point and then purchase a leftover tag for WT. If that is the case, I would get a bonus point, save up some money for a year (for guide funds) and purchase a leftover WT tag. Or don't purchase a leftover WT tag, just buy a bonus point that way you can keep building your points and keep saving money so that you can afford a guided hunt on the strip! Goodluck

Gotta go with pwrguy on this one.

You've put your time in, now it's time to draw the tag and hunt with confidence.

I know a guy who drew i think it was a late 13b last year only after 3 years of putting in, and his wife drew on her first try. He brought home a legit 200plus muley. No guides. According to him, not too much scouting either. He told me he went up a week or two early, got to know the place, and pulled a big boy out from under a big time guide.

Good luck.

You can indeed buy a BP for this year and then pick up a leftover WT tag after the results come out.

I was up there with bonus points several years ago and opted for a December WT tag instead of holding out for a Strip Tag....I really regret that decision.

Don't get discouraged! You're in an enviable situation, even without being able to get a guide. Also, just because the guides will have a good idea of where MOST of the big bucks are, they still have to get their clients in a spot to kill one, which is exceptionally challenging. I would also imagine that there are plenty of people on this site with the experience and willingness to lend you a hand, perhaps even accompany you on your tag.

It's been a long time since I hunted up there, but I doubt if the deer and the country have changed much. There is no way that every big buck has been seen by camera or human eyes. I also think you'll find that glassing with good optics will pay off.

If I were you, I'd put in for a bonus point in 2011 and do your scouting during the Strip's deer hunt. Talk with hunters, drive around, check out the roads, and learn where deer are being taken and you'll know what you need to know for 2012.

Bill Quimby

First off, I think you can get a guide for less than 6K, there are a few out there that have taken some monsters from the strip that will be 3500 to 4k, it is still a lot but better than 6K. I am a big do it yourself person and would rather take one down by myself or with some friends. I have spent a lot of time in 12B not so much in 13A or B, and I dont know you, but if you need some glassing help I would be in to get out there and lend a hand. It will just give me a reason to get more acquainted to some great hunting unit!!!! All said and done, dont waist the points on WT, wait another year and save your money if you want a guide.

With 13B having 55 permits and thus 11 tags for the 20% pass, and considering a few NR tags, it may be a few years still before you draw. Till then, a side job may get you the guide $, talk to former hunters, and spend some holiday weekends/vacation time scouting before you draw. Even without a guide, I would wait to draw and hunt DIY rather than jump the points ship. Keep able to keep a good PMA on the hunt since deer are sparce and some are apt to get frustrated with the lack of deer and bucks seen.

Don't get frustrated and give up. You're almost there. Now with Google earth, internet and hard maps 75% of your scouting can be done in your living room on the computer and telephone. You live in New River. You're 7 hrs away - that's not that far! Plan your camping trips and vacations in 13b. Shoot out there Friday after work and sleep in your truck for the weekend (it's cheap scouting). Sorry if the family doesn't like it, but this is a once in a lifetime tag - be selfish! Spend tons of time online looking at threads regarding this unit and contact everyone you can for help that has been there. Admit now, you are not ready for this tag. So with that being said buy a point for this year and use this upcoming year to get yourself ready. Plan ahead and stick to your plan.

Believe me guides are familiar with deer herds, but don't know of every buck in a unit and knowing OF a buck and killing it is completely different. No disrespect to any guides, but I prefer DIY. Do what makes you comfortable, but make a decision and stick to it. Learn the country, scout, due-diligence, find your buck, make the stalk, kill the buck - or - pay the guide to do all that for you (except sqeezing the trigger / release).

Remember to save and extra $700 for the mount! ;)

spend all the time you can learning all you can about it, then take a vacation there this summer and learn some about it, then after you get a tag, leave in time to give yourself a full week to scout before the season, then shoot a big buck. the strip ain't some mythical place that only a select few are able to know about and hunt effectively. i know a couple absolute idjuts that are pretty good at snakin' bucks off the strip. and tracking on the strip is a real good way to go. but so is glassing. and sitting water. and spot and stalk, and every other way to hunt that they have a name for. there are plenty of places that are far enough from a road that people don't get to. that place is big. like bigger than a lotta states. don't start out by being a pessimist. i mean muleys are like mensa bucks, when compared to midget deer, but they still ain't as smart as you, if you put your mind to it. invest half what a guide wants in time off work and maybe some good camping equipment. go early, set up a good camp and have fun. driving around and looking for a big track crossing the road is a good way to hunt that place. Lark.

The $6k hunts are the fully outfitted ones. Make your own camp, cook your own meals, etc and just pay for the guided part. 7 days at $300 / day is $2100 plus tip. By the time your 7 days are up, if you have not killed a buck at least you know where to keep looking.

Another option, is you could just keep applying for the tag and then pick up a left over coues tag. Then if/when you draw the strip tag take out a loan to pay for the hunt. Probably not the most ecomoical route but it is an option

I say go for the tag you've been dreaming about. Yes, the guides up there have a distinct advantage, but I really don't believe that the guides know every buck and have a "lock" on all the mature bucks. With all due respect, your first post makes it sound like it's either impossible, or at best, a far stretch for a self-guided hunter to find success on the strip.

I'd be willing to bet a bottle of Crown Royal and a good cigar, that you can find guys right here on this forum willing to camp and hunt along side of you at no charge, with comparable knowledge and enthusiasm as any guide. Just to be along on a hunt like that and do what they can to help out, is worth the effort for a lot of guys.

I'd have no problem taking some vacation days to go help out. And I know quite a few buddies that would be equally willing to jump in, because, let's face it, most of us don't get that kind of tag very often. When it comes, we don't want to be out there flying blind. Some day we might be lucky enough to draw it, but then what? Most of us would be facing the same situation you are in. Spending a couple of days meeting someone new and learning more about a hunt we hope to one day enjoy is a win-win situation. Every day out there helping someone else out is another tid-bit of knowledge about the area, the animals and the habitat, that one day we'll be able to apply to our own hunt up there.

IMO, this is a good opportunity to reach out and find some guys who share the passion of hunting huge mule deer North of the ditch, make a friend or two, and create an experience that you didn't have to buy, as blunt as that sounds.

Just something to consider...

Coach.

Wow, thank-you all for the good advise!

I will definitely go for the strip and not spend my points on anything else.

After all the great feed back, I think I will just go DIY.

Ya'll will surely know it if/when I get drawn.

Thanks again!

~Gary