Sign in to follow this  
Chef

Prime Rib?

Prepared an 8 lb boneless, tied, rib roast yesterday evening.

Here are some tips to remember...

Sear the roast first, then season it with your rub. That way the rub doesn't burn during the searing process.

I cook it 18 minutes per pound in a pre-heated 350* (non convection mode) oven.

Let it rest at least 10-15 minutes before slicing. This goes for turkey, chicken, basically any roast.

Here is what I started with...

post-67-1293301232_thumb.jpg

Preparing the rub with fresh rosemary, cracked black peppercorn and kosher salt, all in olive oil.

post-67-1293301244_thumb.jpg

post-67-1293301252_thumb.jpg

Getting the pan nice and hot over mesquite. I like to do this outside as it is easier to clean. Plus I was grilling some other things.

(btw, I did season and rub the roast lightly with kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and olive oil.

post-67-1293301260_thumb.jpg

I rotate and turn the roast often making sure I hear that "sizzle" constantly.

post-67-1293301288_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to stand the roast up and sear the ends!

post-67-1293301337_thumb.jpg

All seared up nicely and ready for the rub.

post-67-1293301361_thumb.jpg

Rub mixture on, now ready for the oven.

post-67-1293301398_thumb.jpg

Here is the roast after it's out of the oven resting. The juices re-distribute in the cells and cool down a bit. That way the roast won't "bleed out" when you slice it.

post-67-1293301418_thumb.jpg

Slicing it up and ready to eat! (notice that no juices were lost as I sliced it?)

post-67-1293301426_thumb.jpg

Hope everyone enjoys a great holiday meal or two. It's one of the best parts of life for me.

• Like 1

Looks good! My Aunt is making prime rib for X-mas dinner today. Can't wait!!! slurp slurp........Looks like the Virgin Mary in the 7th pic. Just sayin".....

Chef, I showed Peg and we are going to try that this next week. Now I have to go get something to eat because of you. Thanks! Merry Christmas! :)

TJ

Nice! I'm happy many are eating well.

Are you all still in Southern N.Y.?

TJ, have fun and enjoy that dinner. Get with me if you have any questions.

Cooked up 2 prime ribs this Christmas, and follow pretty much the same approach. I've done a couple over the past 3 years with different results. Some people recommend a really high heat for the first 20 minutes, then reducing. Like 450/350. When I've tried that, I end up with too-cooked outside, and too raw inside. I'd rather go with a "slow roast" at a consistent 275 degrees. Takes a long time but worth it, IMO.

No doubt about it, the key is to sear the whole roast as well as you can on a pan with oil. I like olive oil. Searing keeps the juices inside and helps the roast pull in the flavors from the rub.

The rub is where you get to be creative. I like a lot of garlic and some cajun seasoning, a little kosher salt and maybe a little white pepper. After searing the roast, I coat it in olive oil and pat on the dry rub, the into the oven.

I'm certainly no expert, but instead of minutes-per-pound, the key is a quality thermometer. You don't want the inner portions to go much over 120 degrees. I like mine pretty rare, so when I hit around 118 at the core I'll pull it and let it stand. The inside temp will raise at least 10 degrees once you pull it and let it stand.

If it's too rare, boiling hot au jus to dip in will actually cook it to taste.

QUOTE (oneshot @ Dec 26 2010, 02:49 PM) Imma in Green Valley right now, my brother work's in Tucson... I enjoy your recipes Chef, Thank You... Can you mention the place you are currently working at???

Last place I worked at in AZ is House of Tricks in Tempe. Head Chef there for 4 years. The reason I ask if you were still in NY is I went to chef school in Hyde Park. Right along the Hudson, CIA.

QUOTE (Coach @ Dec 26 2010, 06:19 PM) Cooked up 2 prime ribs this Christmas, and follow pretty much the same approach. I've done a couple over the past 3 years with different results. Some people recommend a really high heat for the first 20 minutes, then reducing. Like 450/350. When I've tried that, I end up with too-cooked outside, and too raw inside. I'd rather go with a "slow roast" at a consistent 275 degrees. Takes a long time but worth it, IMO.

No doubt about it, the key is to sear the whole roast as well as you can on a pan with oil. I like olive oil. Searing keeps the juices inside and helps the roast pull in the flavors from the rub.

The rub is where you get to be creative. I like a lot of garlic and some cajun seasoning, a little kosher salt and maybe a little white pepper. After searing the roast, I coat it in olive oil and pat on the dry rub, the into the oven.

I'm certainly no expert, but instead of minutes-per-pound, the key is a quality thermometer. You don't want the inner portions to go much over 120 degrees. I like mine pretty rare, so when I hit around 118 at the core I'll pull it and let it stand. The inside temp will raise at least 10 degrees once you pull it and let it stand.

If it's too rare, boiling hot au jus to dip in will actually cook it to taste.

You are 100% correct in everything you stated. Especially the internal temperature of the roast. Keep in mind, the size of the roast determines greatly how much "carry over cooking" you will get after you take it out of the oven. 275* for a long time will give you a very juicy roast without a lot of shrinkage. If you ever get a hold of an Alto-Shaam cook & hold oven, it sounds like you would love it. It caters perfectly to slow and moist cooking methods.

I try and keep the methods I introduce here as simple as I can. Not everyone has a cooking thermometer and if anyone ever has any questions, they can write me. (and usually do) From simple things such as "rack or no rack?" under a roast, to where to purchase the best beef. Everything I do has a reason behind it, I just don't indulge too much, so I don't confuse. Hope that makes sense.

I always find myself cooking up things that I think would interest you all, and forget to take pictures. I'll try and stay on top of it this year.

tongue.gif

Chef, you got to pm Peggy and I your phone number. Peg is an excellent cook and it shows on this body of mine but she is always wanting to try different receipes. :)

TJ

Awesome!

I always do mine on the Smoker... but often screw up on the 15 minute "rest" before slicing... hard to wait!!! Great advice to let it rest!!

Thanks for post it!!

QUOTE (roninflag @ Dec 27 2010, 09:21 AM) all i have is "non stick' PANS can i still sear it in that??

Yes, you can sear it in that. You just have to be careful not to get the pan so hot that it warps.

The olive oil that you coat the rib in helps with the searing process as well.

That looks awesome Hector and I am sure it was! I ended up doing another one yesterday since the first one came out so good on Friday.

Thanks for taking the time to share your recipes with us, I always enjoy them.

If I can download the pictures from Tammy's camera I'll post up some pictures of the meal you prepared for us a couple weeks ago.

QUOTE (cramerhunts @ Dec 27 2010, 05:54 PM) That looks awesome Hector and I am sure it was! I ended up doing another one yesterday since the first one came out so good on Friday.

Thanks for taking the time to share your recipes with us, I always enjoy them.

If I can download the pictures from Tammy's camera I'll post up some pictures of the meal you prepared for us a couple weeks ago.

You've been eating good Phil!

Yeah, post up some pics of the other weekend. That was fun.

Great people, good food, and talking about hunting always makes for a swell evening!

Question? Would you sear the meat if your using a smoker?

Ok, one more, is the internal temp of 120-125 the final desired temp, or is 120 allowing for carry over cooking to about 140?

I'm going to smoke one this year, and appreciate all the great information shared!

Question? Would you sear the meat if your using a smoker?

Ok, one more, is the internal temp of 120-125 the final desired temp, or is 120 allowing for carry over cooking to about 140?

I'm going to smoke one this year, and appreciate all the great information shared!

Hi and thanks for the great questions!

To answer your first question, the answer is dependent on what type of smoking you will do.

Will you smoke from start to finish? If so, no need to sear the roast. The smoking process will impart color and flavor onto the outside (and impregnate within).

or

Will you finish smoke (I do this a lot) your roast after you have come close to your desired temperature. *This is what many Asian restaurants do with their Peking duck.

If this is the case, yes, you would sear and roast as before, then finish in the smoker for a shorter time, only giving a light smoke flavor.

To answer your second question, 120-125 is your removal temp. Depending on the size of your roast, you are correct in stating that your final internal temperature will be higher. I try and shoot for 135 degrees FINAL internal temperature. Keep in mind that the ends of any roast will be cooked to higher temps allowing more well done cuts to your guests.

I hope this helps!

Happy Cooking and Merry Christmas to All!

• Like 2