Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

OPENING PIG HUNT / pics added Jan 5

Well, Peg thught I should rest one more day but yesterday had our house alive with daycare and I headed out by 11am and I was into pigs by 2pm. I was at a stand still for over 3 hours and never got a shot off. Had them at 40 yds but couldn't close the deal. Today was another day and I knew I didn't have a whole day in me so I left the house at 11am again. After 2 hours out I heard some rocks fall above me and knew it had to be pigs. I stood there for 30 minutes and finally saw a pig working my way. I couldn't get the range finder out of my pocket because I had other pigs off to my side. After 1 hour a pig worked in to my shooting lane and I thought it was 25yds but found out later it was 30. I have only killed an animal once at that range and pulled back and let an arrow go. I misjudged it and hit low. Found some blood and after 30 minutes I jumped her and got another arrow in her but way back. I waited another 30 minutes and then started tracking and jumped her again and finished her off with a perfect lung shot. It weighed 100 pounds by the time I got it back to the truck. This made number 32 pig kills over the years and all but one were arhery. I'm one happy guy tonight but don't know how many more of these archery pig hunts I have in me.

post-1903-1294228997_thumb.jpg

post-1903-1294229009_thumb.jpg

Not the best pictures but I had to leave the camera at home to seal the deal.

Way to go TJ!!!!! I'm glad you were able to get it done with your body still in tact and in good health. :lol: A big cangrats to you buddy! Now lets see some pics!

-Tracy

WhooooHoooooo!!!! Nice job TJ, way to hang in there! Hopefully I can get out in a few days!

Soooooo, what do you do with the meat? My husband doesn't want me to get one because then he has to eat it.... :unsure:

WhooooHoooooo!!!! Nice job TJ, way to hang in there! Hopefully I can get out in a few days!

Soooooo, what do you do with the meat? My husband doesn't want me to get one because then he has to eat it.... :unsure:

I've done them many different ways over the years. Lately I have been making sausage out of them. Never touch the meat while you're skinning them out due to the scent gland odor that is embedded on their hair. After skinning wash your hands really good and continue to clean out all blood shot and bone it out. The most I have ever gotton was 15lbs on a gutted out 43 pounder that my wife shot. I will probably get around 8lbs of meat off this one. Whatever the lbs come out to I purchase pork, whatever's on sale, and add the sme amount and grind together. Then I add a sausage mix and grind it again. Awesome eating. You can purchase sausage mix from most meat proccesors.

Good luck on your hunt and if I wasn't so far away I would take it off your hands. :D

TJ

Okay, cross your fingers and hopefully I'll get one down in 23 next week! I will definitely try making the sausage if I get one. Thanks!!! :P

Way to stick with it and get your pig. Talk about a dedicated javelina hunter. I could learn a lesson or two from you I'm sure! Congratulations!

Nick

Cool hyde on that pig it looks very white. Congrats TJ on a job well done.