Santana Outdoors

Wolves by Payson AZ

I was out scouting west of Payson and thought I had seen a deer move in the trees about 150 yards in a little bowl below me. Then when out came 2 young wolves. They were running back and forth working their way towards me. About half way towards me they disappeared which kind of concerned me. Never saw them again.

Has anyone else seen them this close to Payson? From what I have heard about them, this is bad for us.

Eric

They have been sighted in 5a as well. Seems some people have taken hybrids out and dropped them off in the woods to reintroduce them. Really smart.

I was out scouting west of Payson and thought I had seen a deer move in the trees about 150 yards in a little bowl below me. Then when out came 2 young wolves. They were running back and forth working their way towards me. About half way towards me they disappeared which kind of concerned me. Never saw them again.

Has anyone else seen them this close to Payson? From what I have heard about them, this is bad for us.

Eric

How cool is it to say you saw a couple wolves near Payson? I know they can be very damageing on our deer and elk herds but on the other hand It would be neat to see one in the area. There are those who would like to see all the coyotes shot off but I enjoy their music at night and hope they continue to sing me to sleep at night during my many nights sleeping out under the stars. :)

TJ

the area where wolves are a problem have declining elk herds and other problems. our elk herd is expanding. when you shoot a cow elk it is almost like shooting three elk. in az we shoot a LOT of cow elk. also the wolves in az besides few in number; are not as very good at catching their own wild meals. historically they were mostly loners and preyed on coues. the ones on idaho, montana , wyo are way different.

They have been sighted in 5a as well. Seems some people have taken hybrids out and dropped them off in the woods to reintroduce them. Really smart.

what??? :blink:

When I was working in the snow up in 5A I could have swore that I saw one, but didnt say anything as I thought I was seeing things! :(

Why is it, that new guys, always bump old threads?  I have no doubt that there are wolves north of Toronto Village.  Those Canucks can keep them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

Why is it, that new guys, always bump old threads?  I have no doubt that there are wolves north of Toronto Village.  Those Canucks can keep them.

Well it’s new to them.

• Like 1