Sign in to follow this  
young-coueshunter

New rifel

Whats up guys im thinking of buying a new hunting rifel to use mostly for deer. I am thinking of a 300 ultra mag was wondering if i could get your thoughts on this rifel or any suggestions on any other rifels. Thanks ...

Can you handle the recoil of a 300 UltraMag? How much are you looking to spend on this rifle? My 1st rifle was a Remington in .270 Winchester. I shot a BAR .270 for years and just upgraded to a .270WSM. In my opinion a .300 ultra mag is overkill for deer. Ammo for a .300 is expensive, too. Read some articles about Jack O'Connor and everything he shot with his .270. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

If you change and go for the .270, I have a Winchester Featherweight posted for sale under the classified ads section. :)

Bob

i have a 300 ultra mag and love it! put a muzzle break on it and it'll kick like a .243. as for "overkill" that makes me laugh. dead is dead. are you not wanting to hurt the animal too much? i've shot elk to javelina with it,and no it didn't hurt the javelina's feelings any worse than a .270 would've.

Recoil aside just the price of ammo and the unneeded barrel errotion is not worth the extra fps you'd get with an ultra mag. I know that every that shots an ulta mag is exempt from these points.

The recoil between a 06 and a 300ultra mag are quite diferant.

Dead is in fact dead.

For 1000 bucks you could get a "normal" cal and have plenty of cash left over for a scope befitting of a long range tack driver. And be able to have plenty of ammo avalivle to practice.

But as with every thing in life you will wind up with what ever you want and love it.

My deer rifle is 300wm. Most would call it over kill too.

i am a youth as you look in your pic, but i wouldnt go with a 300 ultra mag, they are great guns but i weigh about 150 and my 300 win would pick me up with it. i could handle the kick of the gun fine, it didnt hurt, but i think i started to develop a flinch with it. if i was you i would put off being macho and a big gun and get something you can shoot all day long and accuratly at any range. just my $.02

sidenote: a 270 is a great rifle. ive killed 3 deer and 3 elk with one, farthest was 580 yds, and it dumped the elk. i am now shooting a 257 roberts which i am going to get bored into and AI soon. its a fun gun to shoot and i can shoot it all day long

When the throat errodes (in short order) and the added friction causes the pressures to sky rocket, you will be reducing your loads to the point of near 300WSM velocities. May as well just get the 300WSM and spare you the headaches. That said, there is a whole host of other great calibers out there that are more 'user friendly' and cheaper to operate than the 300RUM.

The bottom line is that the above is only one man's opinion (mine). You should get what would make you feel good at the end of the day.

M

Anything you can do with a 300 Ultra you can do with a 30-06. It may not get there as fast or hit as hard but the deer will be just as dead.

no. i would get either a .257 weatherby accumark witha 26 inch barrel and add a vais. or i would get remington 700 sedero in either 7mm ot 264 mag and add a vais.

I would get the ultramag hands down. Its alot faster and flatter then the other 300 mags and its worth every penny. With the price range you have definetly stick to the model 700's. I have a model 700 cdl with a muzzle break and it kicks like a 270 and your range will increase dramatically compared to what standard cartridges can do beyond 300 yards even. Youll have a 300 yard zero with the right load. My only suggestion would to throw a nikon 50mm with at least 14x with that rifle so you can be looking close to what that rifles potential is.

Haha no im not a youth hunter im actually 22 just prly look young. Everybody has alot of different opinions, but im still leaning towards The 300 ultra mag Ive heard alot of good things about it. I will also be using it for elk javelina and other big game.

Out of all the rifles I have ever had and shot I am now a .308 man for life. You can shoot out to what ever range you want and get bullets all the way up to 210 grain if need be. A .308 is an Elk, Coues, Coyotes, and on and on gun. There is absolutly no recoil compared to a 30-06, 7mm, and 300 rum. Get one you will not be dissapointed. I just bought the M1500 Howa varminter heavy barrel and topped it with a vortex viper scope and I can get under .50 at 100 yard groups, and hit 4 inch groups at 800 yards. It is a to die for gun just at 1100.00 to your local gun shop. Good luck with that 300 RUM.

You need to ask yourself what you really want out of a new rifle. How far are you looking to shoot? Do you handload? How much time can you spend at the range? Are you just looking for an excuse to buy a 'bigger' gun?

... ive been shooting a 30 06 and a remington 7mm. For the last couple years....

A properly built and dialed in 7mag should have no issues shooting out to 500yds for deer. There are threads here on this site, and even some websites dedicated to long range shooting/hunting, that would more then back this up. The key to it would be if you did your part. But if you're not good enough behind the gun to shoot @500yds with a 7mag, then you won't be good enough to shoot that distance, or further, with a 'bigger' gun. Please don't take this as an attack, as it is not. Just merely stating my opinion when it comes to people wanting to shoot at game at longer distances.

If you do not handload, my suggestion would be to invest the money into a reloading kit and start reloading. With the money left over you could bed your rifle, get a trigger job, and upgrade the optics. And have a better shooting gun system then if you bought one off the shelf brand new(for that price at least).

If you want a 'bigger' gun, then go for it. Buy it and I hope you enjoy it for as long as your shoulder and wallet will allow you to. If you want to just extend your range accurately, then let us know. There are some really knowledgeable folks on this site that I am sure would be more then willing to get you going in the right direction, if you so cared for some help. Just my two pennies. ;)

Jerry

Out of all the rifles I have ever had and shot I am now a .308 man for life. You can shoot out to what ever range you want and get bullets all the way up to 210 grain if need be. A .308 is an Elk, Coues, Coyotes, and on and on gun. There is absolutly no recoil compared to a 30-06, 7mm, and 300 rum. Get one you will not be dissapointed. I just bought the M1500 Howa varminter heavy barrel and topped it with a vortex viper scope and I can get under .50 at 100 yard groups, and hit 4 inch groups at 800 yards. It is a to die for gun just at 1100.00 to your local gun shop. Good luck with that 300 RUM.

A 308? Are you kidding me???? What kind of moron does it take to be a 308 man for life?? Elk? Are you serious? Has'nt anybody told you that the 308 is undergunned for hunting elk.

Oh crap! I have just been informed that I am a 308 fan. :o