Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Ate some FANTASTIC javelina tonight

My two oldest sons were fortunate to take a couple javi's opening morning of the youth hunt. Tonight I cooked up the backstraps from both using one of my favorite techniques for elk and deer backstraps just to see how they compared. I have to say, they were amazing.

The process is simple. Clean as much fat and sinew as you can from the backstraps then slice them at an angle to about 3/8" (deer and elk straps are large enough to cut straight). Lay the pieces on a plate and give them a little salt, pepper and Cavenders on both sides. More pepper or some cajun spice if you like them spicy.

On the stove get a large skillet pretty hot with some olive oil, dab each piece of meat in flour, both sides, and toss them in the hot skillet. When one side gets a little crispy, flip 'em over and let the other side crisp up. Remove them from the skillet onto a plate with a couple paper towels to pull out any extra oil from cooking and eat 'em up like fish fillets.

They were crazy delicious. I had to steal a couple pieces from each batch because the boys were eating them just as fast as I could get them to the table.

Next time you have a piggie and think it's not good for anything but sausage or chorizo, give this recipe a try!

• Like 1

I usually make steak sandwiches out of the TL's, flour, s&p and fry - makes for 2 good sandwiches. I turn the backstraps into green chile and make the rest into sausage of some type.

• Like 1

I think most people under estimate how tasty javelina are....thx for sharing your recipe!

Thanks for posting this Coach! That's exactly how I fix Javelina and just about everything else for that matter! Me and my family have always joked about making a TV show about cooking any wild game around the world with the exact same recipe you just posted. Anything from deer to Kangaroo! haha I haven't hunted Javelina in quite a while but I've always enjoyed the meat, especially from a younger animals.

Thanks again,

Travis

our camp was successful in harvesting two javis this past weekend. our cook boned out a backstrap, marinated it with Spade L for a few hours and then we cooked it up over the mesquite coals for dinner. it turned out really good. I am going to have to order me some of that Spade L stuff!!!

our camp was successful in harvesting two javis this past weekend. our cook boned out a backstrap, marinated it with Spade L for a few hours and then we cooked it up over the mesquite coals for dinner. it turned out really good. I am going to have to order me some of that Spade L stuff!!!

I was very surprised by how good it was. I never really gave Javi's much credit but after this weekends hunt I will have to reconsider - the pork Spade L make it a taste GREAT!

http://www.spadelranch.com/

Really good stuff.