Sign in to follow this  
markhunts

January Sonora Coues

Lesson to be learned.... When a buck is chasing a doe hard, and his horns are gleaming in the sun, wait for him to stop and look him over good... <_< .. I had passed on several 95-100 inch bucks in 4 days, and on the 5th day shot this one in the heat of the moment. Wrong move, but I did it, and have to live with it. I wish I had let him live another year or two.. He grosses 86 and 3. We had a great trip to Mexico, with 0 problems and a great time. A 125 inch buck was shot in camp, and several others over 110 were seen but not taken. My Mule Deer (pictures posted in the Mule Deer threads) made me happier the day after I shot the Coues.

post-4138-1296694619_thumb.jpg

Happens to everyone sooner or later ;)

That mule deer you killed more than made up for it I would say, and I'm not a carp fan. MONSTER. Looks bigger than 197 to me.

That is a great looking buck! Just think..you also killed a toad of a mule deer! Mistakes like that happen...to everyone! Honestly it has happened to me, and i have learned my lesson to appreciate the hunt and the opportunities i have even more! Cherish every moment you get to spend in gods country with family and friends :D Congrats mark!

That's a great buck, nothing wrong with it! Besides, if you want a bigger one, you have an excuse to go back next year again ;) Dont feel bad, if it makes you feel better....a couple years ago, not far from were you hunted, I was after a 115 inch buck and ended up killing the wrong one :( I shot a smaller buck, I was sick all day long :blink:

Ernesto C

Thanks guys. I'm not taking anything away from the hunt or the experience at all. I couldn't have been in a better or more beautiful place enjoying the time with my brother and friends. I wouldn't trade the hunt for anything. Don't need a Waambulance Wade. It's not oh poor me. I just feel like it would have been nice for the deer to go another couple of years for someone else to take. Most all of you know what it's like to have passed on much nicer deer, and then have that happen. Honestly I would have been much happier to have gone home without a Coues. And absolutely, I couldn't be any happier to have taken the Mule Deer. He was between 8-9 years old, and had hardly anything left for teeth, so he wouldn't have been around too many more years. It was a great hunt, and I didn't intend it to mean that it was "only an 86 inch deer". It was just that for what I was after, and what deer I had seen, I should have taken more time to size him up//

I understand exactly what you mean and those of us that have done the same thing feel ya. Congrats on a nice buck even thou he wasn't quite what you were looking for. In the heat of the moment its easy to get wrapped up and things happen quickly.

I agree with Phil, once you get caught in the moment it is hard to slow your mind down and regroup your thoughts. The same thing happened to me this year. it is still a nice buck.

That is a great buck!! Why wouldnt you shoot it!? :huh: