azyoung

Lost bull

Went out Sunday to work off some winter fat (beer belly) and found this bull – possibly a lost rifle bull 6x7

post-470-0-39202300-1297871316_thumb.jpg

What is the law on this? Would it be legal to cut the antlers off that carcass and take them home?

If not, at what stage can the head of a dead elk or deer be collected legally?

Bill Quimby

I ran across a very similar situation a couple years ago. My G&F friend explained that if there is any piece of hide still remaining you could not legally possess the rack or remove it. He told me to have an officer come along and he would investigate but probably give it to me. That's how it worked out.

It would probably depend on the size of the antlers, whether or not the game and fish would let you take them... They might just want to take them and auction them off.... :blink:

My understanding is that unless you can tell it was from natural causes, you cannot take the head. I didn't realize hide mattered, I thought it was strictly cause of death for determining whether you can posses the antlers or not.

I ran across a very similar situation a couple years ago. My G&F friend explained that if there is any piece of hide still remaining you could not legally possess the rack or remove it. He told me to have an officer come along and he would investigate but probably give it to me. That's how it worked out.

That is correct, if there is any kind of flesh or hide, basicly anything other than bone then you are not legally aloud to take posession of it. So by the looks of that picture the legal thing to do would be to leave it lay. <_< :rolleyes:

-Tracy

I could be wrong but I thought that recently collection of ANY dead head hide or hideless is illegal without having an officer take a look, again I could be wrong but im pretty sure this is the (new?) law

As bad as that thing smelled I was glad to leave it there. Earlier I picked up this bull in the same area. I guess I better figure out what is legal to pick up or leave it alone.

post-470-0-72945200-1297953472_thumb.jpg

All animals dead or alive are property of the the state of Arizona,which means the G&F can choose to do whatever they wish.If they discover the animal died of natural causes they may let you keep it, but some wardens will confiscate everything no matter cause of death.