Hunter X

You Decide...

I know this is probably not going to go over too well with some but I'm going to take one for the team as some might say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBEHuDuvCWI

So I guess you didn't get the response you had hoped for over on the Monster Muleys site so now your going to bring your BS over here?

How is this "taking one for the team"? What you're doing is like the quarterback telling his o-linemen that they're all too fat! You're not taking one for the team you're telling the team to pound sand! Kind of makes me wonder what team you're on anyway!!!

Get a life... this is now the dumbest post in the history of the site!!!

• Like 1

i think i mentioned this some place - WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND AMMO!!!

different deer can react numerous ways - yes distance is a key factor but so is accuracy - most shots - there was no way of knowing where the bullet went-

Hey Hunter X, I know you are a great hunter and a great videographer and I've always enjoyed what you've shared with us here.

I've got to admit though, that video perfectly illustrated what I hate to see in the woods. I do believe the problem here was that you were pointing out an obvious fact that any logical thinking person already would know. The farther the animal, the less likely the loud noise will spook them. Whether it makes it ethical or not, that's a personal decision that each of us has the priviledge to make for ourselves. We, as a group of hunters, need to respect each other regardless what our weapon choice is or how far our effective range is. As long as it's lawful and respectful to each other and the critters we hunt, it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

I see how the video brings an arguement about ethics, but it all boils down to each individual and their skills, preparation and personal idea on what's ethical. Argueing about it is futile and gets us nowhere fast. We can only practice and preach the importance of practicing and staying within our personal limits, regardless what distance that is, and that is what's fair to the animal. We only owe the animals we hunt one thing and that is to make a quick clean kill.

All I kept thinking while watching the video was "Tell him to stop shooting!" It's one thing to miss once or even twice, it happens, but when it's obvious that something is either wrong or it's too far and the shooter continues to "fling" lead it becomes a bad thing and THAT is unfair to the animal. I don't care who is behind the gun or how much practicing he's done or how much he paid for the gun or even if it was within their personal limits, if I saw somebody flinging lead like that I'd yell for them to stop.

just my $.02 JIM>

Everybody has different ethics.I personally always try to get as close as I can.If I feel that the animal is in a place that might spook if I try to closer,then I have the gun and ability to shoot 600 yards.I do worry that there is a growing population of people that shoot animals as far as they can to pump up there ego's even though the animal was in a place that could have been shot closer.Even the military snipers shoot as close as they can without being detected.If the most important part of a hunt is pulling the trigger,then the future of our hunting heritage is in trouble.It should be about spending the time with family and friends and putting healthy hormone,antibiotic,steriod free meat on the table.

Dont take this the wrong way but after a recent and sometimes semi heated thread in the campfire ('its been bugging me'), what type of response did you really expect here?

I mean no disrespect. Just curious.

No disrespect taken. I haven't seen that thread yet but if I have the time I'll check it out later. I haven't really been on the site too much lately so maybe things have change a bit in the last year or so but I was a bit shocked to read some of the post that were made about myself and the shooters in the video.

In all due respect youngbuck I don't think that's the point Hunter X is trying to make. If I have read it right (and in full disclosure I have not read all of this thread) what Hunter X is trying to say is he does not think shots past 500 yards is "sporting" or "good ethics" because at that distance the animals chances of detecting the hunter are slim to none.

If that is the point you are trying to make Hunter X (and I will say again I have not read the entire thread) that is misguided and folly. In my experience Coues deer can and will detect movement and can hear the human voice in distances past 500 yards. Is it harder for them sure. But can they absolutely.

I will try to keep my next point as clean and as civil as possible. If that is your opinion fine. I will not try to change your mind of it. But please don't try to change mine or say that I am less of a hunter or a sportsman because my viewpoint differs from yours. You have your opinion and I have mine. And I think we both know the saying about opinions.

I have two questions for you Hunter X. One is, is that the point you were trying to get at? And two do you have any ill feelings of hunters that take shots past 500 yards BECAUSE you feel that it is not responsible for people to shoot that far. Not because the chances of game detecting you are slim but BECAUSE 500 yards and past is too far for people to be responsibly shooting? If that makes sense.

I was more interested in hearing what others thought about how the deer reacted in the video then making a point. This is what I've seen so this is what I have to go by and to me at the time it didn't seem all that sporting. As far as your other question I have no ill feelings towards hunters that take shots past 500 yards. There are a lot of guys out there that shoot better at 600 then I do at 300.

Hey Hunter X, I know you are a great hunter and a great videographer and I've always enjoyed what you've shared with us here.

I've got to admit though, that video perfectly illustrated what I hate to see in the woods. I do believe the problem here was that you were pointing out an obvious fact that any logical thinking person already would know. The farther the animal, the less likely the loud noise will spook them. Whether it makes it ethical or not, that's a personal decision that each of us has the priviledge to make for ourselves. We, as a group of hunters, need to respect each other regardless what our weapon choice is or how far our effective range is. As long as it's lawful and respectful to each other and the critters we hunt, it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

I see how the video brings an arguement about ethics, but it all boils down to each individual and their skills, preparation and personal idea on what's ethical. Argueing about it is futile and gets us nowhere fast. We can only practice and preach the importance of practicing and staying within our personal limits, regardless what distance that is, and that is what's fair to the animal. We only owe the animals we hunt one thing and that is to make a quick clean kill.

All I kept thinking while watching the video was "Tell him to stop shooting!" It's one thing to miss once or even twice, it happens, but when it's obvious that something is either wrong or it's too far and the shooter continues to "fling" lead it becomes a bad thing and THAT is unfair to the animal. I don't care who is behind the gun or how much practicing he's done or how much he paid for the gun or even if it was within their personal limits, if I saw somebody flinging lead like that I'd yell for them to stop.

just my $.02 JIM>

Thanks for the complements and the reply Jim.

Yea I'll admit that last one at the mule deer was pretty tough to watch. I can't remember if I ever thought about yelling at them or not. I do recall trying to reach them on the radio a couple times but other then that I can't remember if I ever thought about yelling. When I look back on it I should have just hiked over with them instead of staying back to video but I thought they knew enough that they could handle it on their own. I guess I was wrong.

There has been a lot for me to take in since posting the video and there has been some very good points that has made me think differently about some of my opinions about all this. Now that I look back on it there were a bunch of ways I should have done differently. Posting threads is just another thing I'm just not very good at. All I wanted to do by starting this thread and posting the video was to encourage hunters this off season to do as much as they can so that when it comes time to pull the trigger they are ready. I thought by posting a video of this nature people would be more motivated to make sure this doesn't happen to them and that they might think twice before making a questionable shot and to try to get as close as they possibly can before taking aim. Even though it might have seem this way I never wanted to start your average long range range debate however I did want to see if others thought there ever should be a limit on how far a hunter should shoot at an animal. And not if a guy can consistently make a 1000 yard shot or not but ask ourselves at what distance if any would a shot be consider not fair chase? From my experiences I thought that anything over 500 yards could be considered in the realm of not fair chase but since making this thread there have been numerous post that say otherwise so my opinions on the matter have changed somewhat. Sorry for causing as much tension as I did that was never my intention in starting this thread.