Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Utah Draw Deadline

Discovered an interesting loop hole in Utah's application process.

When I filled out my applications it said I had a valid license and did not need to purchase a new license to apply (didn't even give me a chance to get a new license) so I went ahead and completed my applications without any problems. Concerned that by the time they completed the draw my license would expire and my application would get kicked out I called the office to see what I should do. The agent told me I was good to go and would not have any issues. She then went on to tell me that in the future if I time thing correctly (as i apparently did this year) I would only need to buy a hunting license once every two years as you only need the license to apply not hunt. The tag is all that's needed to hunt. I expressed doubt in what she was telling me but she insisted that was the case.

Nice when the loop hole works in your favor.

When I filled out my applications it said I had a valid license and did not need to purchase a new license to apply (didn't even give me a chance to get a new license) so I went ahead and completed my applications without any problems. Concerned that by the time they completed the draw my license would expire and my application would get kicked out I called the office to see what I should do. The agent told me I was good to go and would not have any issues. She then went on to tell me that in the future if I time thing correctly (as i apparently did this year) I would only need to buy a hunting license once every two years as you only need the license to apply not hunt. The tag is all that's needed to hunt. I expressed doubt in what she was telling me but she insisted that was the case.

Yep, been using that loophole for a few years now.

Yep, been using that loophole for a few years now.

I wish I would have seen this topic before I spent my $65 on a new license! Oh well... now I'm good for this year and next year.

Thanks for the tip!

I just applied monday and was told I had a valid license also.I was wondering what was going on.Hope she is right.

I just applied monday and was told I had a valid license also.I was wondering what was going on.Hope she is right.

Yes, as long as you plly berfore you license expires. Example, mine expires Feb 28th and I messed around until today to apply so mine expired and I had to buy a new lic, if I had applied before Feb 28th, I'd had saved myself $65. I too called to verify it.

I applied a couple of days ago but just for points this year for everything. Will have double digits for elk now and a couple less for rockies. What has everyone been apply for, prior to the recent change? # of points? It's said that the trophy elk quality is not as good right now but the trophy deer is getting better.

I applied a couple of days ago but just for points this year for everything. Will have double digits for elk now and a couple less for rockies. What has everyone been apply for, prior to the recent change? # of points? It's said that the trophy elk quality is not as good right now but the trophy deer is getting better.

I apply for deer and Rocky Mnt Goat. I have 9 points for deer and 8 for goat

I just bought points for everything. I've got 9 for Mtn Goat and 8 for LE Deer going into this years draw. I know I'm going to get a couple tags in other states this fall and there just wouldn't be any time to go to Utah if by some streak of luck I were to pull a tag.

Sounds crazy but I dont even have to carry the valid license that I applied with if I were to draw a permit.Only the permit itself.I was told by Utah dfg if I timed it right I only need to buy the license every other year.

Just put in with my old man for everything except we bought points for general deer.

Well I was planning on abandoning my points in Utah this year but I chickened out 2 hours before the deadline. And unfortunately this wasn't the year that I could use last years license. For those that keep up with the drawing what do you think they are going to do next year with the general points and the limited entry points? I am hoping they combine them but with my luck they will just drop all preference points.