Sign in to follow this  
justin_birch

foxpro calling sequence

Me and my dad are just getting into predator hunting. we got a foxpro and tested it out this last weekend, but we didnt call in anything. What calling sequences do you use for predators?

There is no hard and fast rules on what sequence of calls to use. There are times when you want to howl and others when you want to be subdueded and call with soft squeaks. Time and experience in the field will teach you some of this. You wont call in a critter on every stand. You might think about joining one of the predator calling clubs around the valley. Check out PVCI.ORG and google other clubs here in the metro and Mesa area. These are great clubs and a ver good source of informmation.

Sequence doesn't matter. I am a firm believer in scouting for predators. When you get out of the truck and are walking to the stand look for tracks and scat. If you do a few stands and don't see any sign, move to a whole different area. This year, in my area, I've seen tons of coyote sign, but not much fox or bobcat. That has reflected in my calling success this year. Not one fox or bobcat. Rabies maybe? All the foxpro sounds are pretty good. Just find predator sign and you'll start calling them.

It's like fishing, you have to find out what there biting on. Yesterday's call probably won't work the next day... I have the "Primos Power dogg" and I always start with a lonely howl or female invite, the coyotes usually respond after a few calls that are spread out about a minute or two in sequence. My main call I use and get coyotes charging in is the fawn distress, because coyotes will B-line right to the call, especially after rain fall or snow fall. I shot my first and only bobcat with the fawn distress and loved that e-call ever since.

-Happy Calling

When I’m calling for predators with my foxpro, I pick my terrain per individual predators. Bobcats , I like to hunt very brushy areas or cotton felids , bobcats like to stalk and surprise there prey ,so I use a very high pitchy sounds cottontail, woodpecker and distress grey fox , I highly recommend a decoy and never move a inch they will pick that movement up and disappear into the thicket .Coyotes like to run their prey down in open areas , I like to use a blood gargling jack rabbit sound , start off low and turn the volume up high .Foxes are just stupid , I like to use higher pitch sound’s , like birds , cottontails and a fox distress is my favorite . Fox distress is all round great sound for everything , every predator is out to kill foxes in there territory , you want to find foxes ,look for areas with boulders and you will find foxes .When hunting foxes , most of the time they will come in as pairs ,so always look for the second one . I also like to throw in my mouth calls at the same time as my fox pro , works great .

I agree with finding good sign, and moving often. I am sure in some cases the actual sound might matter, but most the time I don't think it does. I use 99% prey distress on my stands. I seem to have a harder time from March until July for all predators. My favorite sounds are rabbit dist and bird dist. Keep at it and good luck!

I agree with finding good sign, and moving often. I am sure in some cases the actual sound might matter, but most the time I don't think it does. I use 99% prey distress on my stands. I seem to have a harder time from March until July for all predators. My favorite sounds are rabbit dist and bird dist. Keep at it and good luck!

I agree sound is not the main factor in calling predators.

Like stated above different predators like different terrain.

Your set-up is the key.Be as quiet as possible and try not to skyline when going to your stand.

Everyone has there own preference on how to set up wind being one of the key factors.

I know guys that face down wind because coyotes like to circle down wind and they call in a ton of predators.

I like to set up cross wind and in the shade if possible.

If they see you, here you or smell you they will not come!

In the high country which is my favorite I like woodpecker distress and start the volume off really low.

In the lower terrain I like lightning jack or cottontail distress.

A decoy is nice even if it's a couple of turkey feathers tied to a string and attached to a stick or old arrow.

Eventually you will find what works.

I have had dead batteries to where my old black tape recorder I used to use , barely made squeaks and coyotes came charging from over 300 yds away.

I like coyote vocalizations certain times of year like October when all the new pups are getting out on there own.

I also like to use a howler in the mating season to start off a sequence.

IMO April - July are my toughest months to call coyotes.

1 they have been called all winter and 2 there is an abundance of food sources berries, beans, bugs..... and they don't need to eat as much in the warmer months.

I learned the hard way of going on my own, if you can go with an experienced predator caller you will accelerate your learning curve.

Hope this info helps.

Remember you can't call em' in from your couch.

Good luck!

James

AZ is teeming with bobcats and gray foxes. You just need to know how to find the areas they live and know what sounds to call them in. Last year 3 of us trapped 90 bobcats in the state of AZ. I called in and shot about a dozen. Foxes are a dime a dozen and are by far the easiest predator to call in and harvest here in AZ. Lots of good advice in the thread. Your best bet is to join a local club to shorten the learning curve. Arizona Predator Callers, PVCI, XPC are just a few of the good clubs around willing to help a new caller get the hang of it.

Shoot me an email at Scott@Francom.us as I am the president of APC and can get you squared away.

Use the baby cotton tail on the foxpro it works the best i have one and i call in lots of coyotes every year. I shoot 50 to 100 coyotes/fox a year with that call. just be patient they will come in.

I am a fly-fisherman... so I know and use the term "match the hatch" 100% of the time. I am not an experienced predator hunter at all, in fact I've only gone out once. But in the area I set up- there were tons of cottontail tracks and poop- I've even flushed a few of them on my way up to the top... Naturally, if there were bunnies there, use the cottontail sequences! It worked.