Sign in to follow this  
Santana Outdoors

What was your favorite hunt?

What was one of your favorite hunt or best time you had while out hunting? Tell us about it and slap on a photo or 2 if you like.

Its a tuff call for me with so many hunts to be appreciated.

Mine was just last year, I got to spend a lot of time in the field with my now grown son on his second archery Elk hunt. It amazed me of how much he didn't remember of his first time out when he was just about 11 years old. Although we came home empty handed this last year we had a blast hunting and every night around the camp fire.

Teaching him about elk habits and then building upon each days misfortunes. He found out real quick that target practicing just doesn't quit connect to the true life experience we get in the field. Sadly for him it has been 10 years since his last tag. But next time I do not think the elk will be that lucky.

He has since redeemed himself on the January Coues hunt with a nice little Coues. Thank you Lord for giving me this opportunity I just wish it could be everyday!

Eric

My favorite, easily, was helping on my Grandpa's elk hunt a few years ago. He was 85 at the time. He wanted a little spike for good eating but ended up with this. I was with my uncle, cousin, and my buddy I grew up with. I will never forget that hunt. It will always be one of my favorite hunts for the rest of my life. I've always looked up to my grandpa. He is the toughest man I know.

pappaw1.jpg

pappaw2.jpg

A few years later (I think he was 88), he shot a muley buck, while he was hunting alone. He told my uncle he was sick of walking through the rocks and was gonna do it his way.

Maybe I'll go out next time with a mind to shoot a "spike". Perhaps I'll come home with a similar monster!

YB, your grandpa seems like a good man to look up to for sure!

With out a doubt, for me the best hunt I have ever been on was my little brothers hunt this past year. Him not really ever having the drive to hunt, but enjoying be out there and shooting and then wanting to get a tag was like winning the super bowl to me. THEN he made a PERFECT 400 yard shot and killed his deer cleanly and quickly... I shed tears of pride/joy... Although I do wish the little shiteater had done it closer to the truck.... That pack out was not to fun but I'd do it all over again in a heart beat for him! My dad and I were both as proud as can be! (he put in for a juniors only cow elk tag, hopefully...!)

CorysDeer008.jpg

IMG00038-20101107-1127.jpg

And for me, personally I have had a few memorable hunts... This past deer hunt, hunting on a relly messed up ankle but being able to do it and hunting with 4 different good friends/CWT members. Also being able to do it in memory of my grandma knowing she was watching.

Bubbas2010deer010.jpg

And of course, the Kudu in Africa that I hunted hard for 5 days before finding a shooter bull, then executing a PERFECT 353 yard shot, knocking the bull off his feet immediately.

AFRICA2010166.jpg

Finally drawing a December tag... Screwing that up ROYALY, my dad shooting his best buck to date, then me "guiding" a long time family friend to his best buck to date... in 12 minutes...

deerdecember030.jpg

And of course, 5 years ago being able to sneak within FEET of a pair of mountain lions...

EHJaQE647lCk9ZU09V4hHc5LxmsT7HC0300.jpg

Great topic Eric.....

Hands down my single most memorable hunt was in 2009 when my son drew his first ever elk tag. Not just for the time spent afield, but also the time spent on the road to and from the hunt....time together in the tent on a few very cold nights playing cards and time spent with some new friends at their Thanksgiving table.

post-693-0-80757400-1301697896_thumb.jpg

Anyone recognize the guy on the far left?

post-693-0-25546300-1301698069_thumb.jpg

LOL, Jim you forgot to add 3 flat tires on opening morning on my Ranger! We glassed this bull up 5 miles away (thank God for 15X56 Swarovskis). I have to say it was one of the best! My daughter drew that tag you have been wanting, unit 23 early rifle.

LOL, Jim you forgot to add 3 flat tires on opening morning on my Ranger! We glassed this bull up 5 miles away (thank God for 15X56 Swarovskis). I have to say it was one of the best! By the way my daughter drew that tag you have been wanting, unit 23 early rifle.

Gotta be last year, 3A/C youth cow hunt. The first time both of my oldest boys drew tags together they had a Muley hunt in the same unit, that we were unable to capitalize on. But after days of hard hunting, hard hiking and lots of learning to glass, they got to shift gears to some cow elk. Both of them made good, one-shot kills, and during the process made a lifelong friend, and got really hooked on hunting.

post-478-0-24803700-1301716843_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-31477100-1301716891_thumb.jpg

It's tough to pick the most memorable hunt. Walking a quarter mile in the dark toward the bait where three African lions were roaring and fighting for a share of that zebra was certainly memorable as well as downright scary.

I also can't forget a pickup truck sliding off a high-lift jack and breaking my arm while I was changing a tire on my first day of hunting a desert sheep after 39 years of applying for the tag.

However, it has to be the 57 days (spread over three years) I spent on horses and mules following the dogs of three different houndsmen before I finally broke my jinx and shot a mountain lion.

Bill Quimby

It's tough to pick the most memorable hunt. Walking a quarter mile in the dark toward the bait where three African lions were roaring and fighting for a share of that zebra was certainly memorable as well as downright scary.

I also can't forget a pickup truck sliding off a high-lift jack and breaking my arm while I was changing a tire on my first day of hunting a desert sheep after 39 years of applying for the tag.

However, it has to be the 57 days (spread over three years) I spent on horses and mules following the dogs of three different houndsmen before I finally broke my jinx and shot a mountain lion.

Bill Quimby

Bill, your right. It's hard to pick from so many hunts of a lifetime. The younger guys don't have the problem we have yet. I could not possibly pick one that stands out among the rest. They all were great hunts for me. Maybe my Dad's last deer kill at age 80 since it might be his last. Here is a picture of his deer. I shot a lion from the same blind the very next day.

post-1903-0-78735700-1301726955_thumb.jpg

80 yrs old.

One more just to keep this awesome thread near the top. My boys followed up a great elk hunt with a great javelina hunt. Unit 23 youth, opening morning we found the pigs before we even had the big glass set up. A couple missed shots, and a couple of great off-hand shots and they were done by 9:30.

post-478-0-31305900-1301893096_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-41920700-1301893126_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-17739900-1301893166_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-60304100-1301893192_thumb.jpg

The one hunt that springs to my mind quickly, hence very memorable, is a backpack archery elk hunt into a wilderness area in southwest Colorado. This hunt occurred in the mid 1980s with a long-time friend. Beautiful country with a mix of warm sun, a snow storm, and bugling bulls. This bull came into my bugling calls (what luck, huh?), and my friend Russ arrowed it at 27 yards. Some local friends had a horse which made packing out the meat easy, although Russ hoofed out the head (we did not know how to cape at that time). I had hunted in that wilderness a handful of times alone or with Russ until Colorado DOW made the unit a draw.

BigBlueWildernessCOElkHunt.jpg

BigBlueWildernessCOElkHunt001.jpg

BigBlueWildernessCOElkHunt003.jpg

BigBlueWildernessCOElkHunt016.jpg

BigBlueWildernessCOElkHunt004.jpg

BigBlueWildernessCOElkHunt005.jpg

BibBlueWildernessCOElkHunt.jpg

Doug~RR