Sign in to follow this  
sly

shed hunters on quads

Happend to me a few times, once I confronted them, they made up a story that it was not them? I told them we had them on camera and I had called it into the Game and Fish, they kept saying it was not them...... I said ok, well I am on my way to meet the officer, by the time I got to the main road they were moving out fast. I did not have a camera with me (just made it up), and if it was not for my dad (who had to calm me down) I would of gotten into a fight. We were miles from any road, pissed me off big time. I now just tell them the same thing, that I have them on camera and if they dont want a ticket to leave and not come back.

before long there will be no ohv allowed anywhere

Best thing that can possibly happen.. Until then, why wouldn't you do the same?

Um.....because it is the law?? Correct me if I am wrong??? Off road use is illegal, cross country roaming is illegal?? Is that not correct??? Just curious about the "Until then, why wouldn't you do the same?"......

Its not illegal everywhere?

This is nothing new. I remember being frustrated over the grid of quad tracks back in the mid-late 90's. 15 years later and little to nothing has been done and it's only getting worse.

before long there will be no ohv allowed anywhere

Best thing that can possibly happen.. Until then, why wouldn't you do the same?

Um.....because it is the law?? Correct me if I am wrong??? Off road use is illegal, cross country roaming is illegal?? Is that not correct??? Just curious about the "Until then, why wouldn't you do the same?"......

Its not illegal everywhere?

Because where they are talking about on this thread it is illegal to drive them and those of us who care about maintaining the land at some sort of respectable nature would prefer that not everything be taken away just because some want to drive them illegally because they can.

So no not all of us would do the same I guess is what I am sayin.....just sayin....

I feel your pain. It's very frustrating. I wish they would spend some of the money that they get from the OHV tags on enforcement of the laws.

And when the laws are enforced the LEO's get blamed for not using good judgment and only being out there to write tickets. Wish I knew when to enforce and when to let people violate.

packer

I think that most people are getting mad at the enforcement officers because we get closed out of areas roads shut down because of a lack of enforcement and this is supposed to help them enforce the law with knew laws when they couldnt enforce the originals.The biggest thing to remember is to approach people with respect not arrogance im not saying that you conduct yourself in a bad manner but plenty do and your all public servents not woodland dictators that twist stories and events to justify there jobs again im not accusing you but there is some out there that do

Unless I am wrong off road travel is illegal so lets be careful when asking for new laws because sometimes you only limit yourself. Those who break the current law will have no problem breaking another. I for one want to keep my right to ride my quad 4 or 5 miles off the highway so I can get somewhere worth hiking.

Theres no stopping them. You can legislate away ATV's and they'll keep doing it. You can legislate away picking up sheds and they'll still do it. You can even legislate away our rights to be on public land and they'll still do it.

They're the insecure greedy types who will do anything to get more horns than you and kill better critters than you, and then turn around and go out of their way to keep you from finding a horn or shooting a trophy buck.

And they are everywhere.

they lock the gate at honeymoon on feb 1 every year because of a few a-holes on their fatcats and quads looking for sheds. too lazy to get off and walk, so they would ride their quads all over and tear everything up. then after the gate was locked they kept going around it. they got caught a few times, but i don't think they ever paid a fine. they (the jerks on the quads, the azgfd and the forest circus) put a burden on everyone who tries to do things right. then when the guys with no morals get caught, they don't do anything to em anyway. maybe if they would make it painful in the wallet things would change. but i guess the law enforcement people are too busy making things hard on the folks that are trying to live by the law. anyone that is stupid enought to do something like this isn't going to let a law keep em from it. so if they pass a law, the only folks that suffer are the guys that were ok to start with. most offroad stuff can be technically illegal. you have to get someone to enforce it. Lark.

I grew up thinking if you did go off trail you could be fined up to 100$ per square foot for damage. I've never heard of anybody getting slapped with a hefty fine. Then again, If i was fined I would go around tellling folks. Somebody, years ago, told me that in the Kaibab NF there are no rules for driving off the roads. Its too bad stupid and lazy can't be fixed.

Just shed hunt where the quads cant get to. That is what I do. That is where I hunt too and I never have to worry about a quad coming by and ruining my hunt. The nearest road is 2 miles from either side of me and a tough hike in. I must think like an elk because the elk are all around where I go. As I am hiking back and get closer to the roads, the people driving everywhere on quads always say," I havent seen anything in here". I just smile as they are saying that because there are usually 10-20 bulls standing within a half mile of them. And of course I just give them the customary," Yeah I havent seen much in here either, must be a tough year."

Getten away from the road is always a great idea, but most of the time the bulls arent droppen antlers in the same areas your hunting em in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, saw lots of ATV Tracks OFF the Trails this past weekend. Something has to be done. Also saw Truck coming out of Rattlesnake Quiet Area....!!!! Tried to get Licence Plate but angle was bad. Makes me sick.

Frustrating for sure...thinkin bout heading upto rattlesnake tomarrow...if im not mistaken it is open to motorized traffic right now(on the roads obviously) right??

Get off your A$$ and walk, its good for you. I know you can do it to get game that is down. but, keep this up and you will have to hike from the highways to hunt, and that means rotten meat before you can get it cooled down. Too many lazy people

It really is sad out there. Lots of trash, ATV tracks/ruts way off trails (If these are Handicapped people, they tools for they way they are driving through the forest) freshly cut trees. Can't tell you how many campfires I come upon that are still hot, some still going. I will admit that I have been tempted to put a 300 grn 45 Colt round through an ATV Tire but like the other guy said, not worth it. Just wish the FEDS would do more to these ATV'ers who are abusing their rights.

Lots of ELK up in Rattlesnake, just didn't have enough time to search.

i should stay outa this one-picking fights is sumthin i's good at. cut my first atv tracks today after more than a hundred miles afoot. have to stay close to show low cuz of the gas prices but i have been on bulls every day just no luck.

as a kid spending the 60s n 70s summers growing up in overgaard hunting arrowheads was like a job to my mom. packs with lunches, big straw hats and a compass. the ruins we found got named by or for the finder...'moms #2' was a favorite. kept us busy and outside and not watching wallace and ladmo.

just think about what it did to us to come back to a ruin the next june and somebody had been to it with a backhoe. dug up a few thousand square feet of history. mom used to say she would gut them alive if she caught them-nobody messed with my mom. and not just because they knew of dad. he would get a ride in a starfighter from luke and buzz the cabin most every thursday.

i do not see one bit of differnce between that backhoe grave robber scum and those taking machines off the roads. they are rapists and thieves and as mom would put it 'defilers'.

i am a big guy 300lbs with one bad knee and one tin knee and i don't own a noise machine or ever will. i hunt hard and put on thousands of miles a year on those knees and truly loath the motorheads that ride crosscountry. my country.

lee