coueshunter

Unit 1 & 27

Did anyone watch the AZ Game and Fish meeting yesterday? If so can you please tell me what was said or decided,if any on the fire impacts on the up coming hunts?????

Well I have got a little information about the meeting. Sounds like 80% of the unit was burned moderately to none at all. If this is correct then the hunt should be fine as long as the FS allows access. They are waiting for the FS to release a report in a few weeks which should give the GF commission an idea of possible closures. If the closures are minimal, which in my opinion they should be, then they will probably do nothing. If they are wide spread then they may allow guys who have lots of points to turn in their tags without refunds to get their points back. I personally dont see them doing this or they will open the door for other situations......

I drew the archery deer tag for 27 and 1 and can't wait!!

I believe everyoneone in the state drew a tag for those two units for archery and they are usually all up there during the season!

Was the information just mentioned (20 % of unit burned) from the azgfd meeting for unit one and 27? I was drawn for an archery unit one tag. I am worried.

It was for both units, yes. Unit one sounds like only 20% was burned "Extreme", the other 80% was moderate to non at all. I'm keeping my hopes up as long as the FS don't close access. There is a 30 to 40% chance of rain over the next five days. If it rains hard maybe they will open the area up soon. I need to get back in there scouting!

For those of you who have tags for either unit 1 or 27 here is a map of the wallow fire. It shows what areas were burned and how badly by a color code. White-not burned, green-low intensity, yellow-moderate and red-BAD. Looks like unit 27 is worse than 1 but still plenty of hunting area if the FS will let us in!

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWeb/AZASF/2011-05-31-00:57-wallow/picts/pict-20110628-215436-0.jpeg

For those of you who have tags for either unit 1 or 27 here is a map of the wallow fire. It shows what areas were burned and how badly by a color code. White-not burned, green-low intensity, yellow-moderate and red-BAD. Looks like unit 27 is worse than 1 but still plenty of hunting area if the FS will let us in!

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWeb/AZASF/2011-05-31-00:57-wallow/picts/pict-20110628-215436-0.jpeg

Thank you for posting the image link.

I have a reative who just went to Alpine to check on their cabin. Said there were elk every where and they looked healthy. They also said it was raining that evening and rain was in the forcast for the next few days. Sounds like things are looking up.

Lots of areas in the state are opening due to the rain we are getting. However unit 1 and 27 are still closed. Some of the areas that are opening have not got near the rain that unit 1 and 27 has recieved. I think it is going to take pressure from hunting groups to get these guys to open the area before the hunts start. I know they are removing hazardous trees from near the roadways but thier other excuse is due to flooding hazards. The flooding hazards will be there for at least three years according to other big fire assessments I have read. I think it is time we start pushing the FS to open it up. Any ideas?

Just finished speaking to a biologist who works in the Alpine area. Sounds like they are being told no access for at least a year.....wonderful. If they wont let biologist into the forest then they will never allow hunters in. Sounds like we must push the FS, Game and Fish and whomever else we can to get access. Either that or we are eating our tags............

huntlines, it looks like you have great concern with an area to hunt. May I make the suggestion of hunting the other side of 260. there are great bulls in the area and no fire

That might be a good suggestion idgaf, I have no idea. But I agree with huntlines. I think it is utter bullcrap if they close the forest for a year. I can understand closing it to camping but open it up for day use, once the roadways are cleared and reasonably safe. geez i'm not afraid of a falling tree. I know people who burned 9 and 10 bp on that 27 archery hunt. I hope they atleast open it up and let the hunters be spread out a little bit. 1/2 a million acres of closed forest for a year sounds like trouble to me.