Sign in to follow this  
billrquimby

Thinning my library

I've more than 2,000 hunting books, and it's time to start culling. Most of my books are on African, European and Asian hunting, but these two feature North America. If there are titles you want, let me know. I may have them. --- Bill Quimby

ONE MAN, ONE RIFLE, ONE LAND: Hunting All Species of Big Game in

North America by J.Y. Jones

THIRD PRICE REDUCTION. IT IS NOW $60, shipping by media mail included CONUS

Fine, with fine dust jacket. Large format, 540 pages, 300 color photos. Tells

of the author’s 25-year quest to collect all the varieties of North American

big game. -- from polar bear to the jaguar of Mexico -- with the same

.30-06 rifle.. In addition to Jones' hunting story on each of the big game

animals of North America, each animal has biological data, hunting

techniques, type of terrain, special equipment needs, etc. The stories

include hunting for the grand slam of North American sheep, all five North

American bears, all eight North American deer subspecies, all six of the

caribou, three elk, four moose, the pronghorn, mountain goat, walrus,

jaguar, and more. This book will be a standard on North American hunting

for a long time to come.

-------------------------------------------------------------

GREATEST ELK: A Complete Historical and Illustrated Record of

North America's Biggest Elk by Roger Selner

SOLD PENDING FUNDS

Bill, Do you have any of these books?

Roping lions in the Grand Canyon by Zane Grey

Slash Ranch Hounds by Dub Evans

Ben Lilly Legend by Frank Dobie

Call of the Hounds by Del Cameron

Bill, Do you have any of these books?

Roping lions in the Grand Canyon by Zane Grey

Slash Ranch Hounds by Dub Evans

Ben Lilly Legend by Frank Dobie

Call of the Hounds by Del Cameron

Hi .25-06:

I have the Zane Grey and Frank Dobie books, and several other books about Buffalo Jones and Ben Lilly, but I'm not ready to sell them yet. I'll see if I can find copies for you on some of the internet rare book sites.

Greatest Elk has sold pending funds.

Bill Quimby

Bill

Have you every heard of "The Great Outdoors, by Eddie Becker. I have a copy it was published in 1947 and is a first edition in handcrafted mission leather, its all about north american hunting and fishing. Its signed by the author as well. I tried searching this book on the internet but cant find it. Just wondering its value.

Thanks Joe

I haven't heard of Becker's book, but it sounds like a good one. Unfortunately, North American hunting books from the 20th century are not as collectible/valuable as African hunting books from the same era.

Dave Richey in Michigan may be able to help you determine its value. I don't have his website address, but you can get it by Googling his name. Dave buys and sells hunting books, especially North American. Please tell him I sent you.

Bill Quimby

Bill do you have a copy of 'Meet Mr Grizzly' by stevens?

anything by O'connor, slim ellison or stella hughes you would part with?

also cannot find a 1st edition of 'tough times in rough places'(murray?) or 'campfires on desert and lava'(hornaday)

thank you,

lee

ps there is an Africa book i remember reading in the 70's that i would love to own. forgot title and author but the essence was-.303 british was authors rifle of choice, baboons were the most dangerous game on the planet and elephants squatted to kill.......i would just like to know the title/author and read it again...

Biglakejake:

I haven't heard of "Meet Mr. Grizzly" or "Tough Times in Tough Places," but that's not surprising. I didn't collect many North American books. My interests were in African hunting, primarily. The Hornaday book is a classic, but I traded my only copy a dozen years ago for a book on Africa by F.C. Selous.

I do have most of Jack O'Connor books, including some rare ones, a recent biography, and a book containing excerpts of letters between him and gunwriter John Jobson. I'll be putting some of them on here in November after we return to Tucson for the winter.

Don't know the African book you remember reading, but that also is not surprising. There literally are many hundreds of books on hunting in Africa, and the best copies can be v-e-r-y pricey. Peter Hathaway Capstick wrote several magazine articles about shooting baboons, and at least one of those articles was reprinted in one of his books. Don't remember ever reading anything about elephants squatting to kill, though.

Those .303 British Enfield rifles, by the way, were the equivalent for a long time in southern Africa of our .30-06 Springfield rifles. That caliber was used to take everything up to elephants and rhinos -- as well as many of the ancestors of my Afrikaaner friends. As for baboons, you need only look at their teeth to know they still are nothing to mess with.

Isn't anyone interested in my book above by J.Y. Jones? I've cut the price to $75. It's well worth that, and a more interesting and informative read is hard to find. The author is an acquaintance, and a fine fellow.

Bill Quimby

25-06:

Check your messages. I found some of the books you want.

Bill Quimby

Thank you Bill, Terry

ben lilly... you guys know of him?

Yes. I've read everything I could find about him, and I met one of his descendants. He was the last of the southwest's mountain men and arguably the greatest houndsman who ever lived.

Somebody please buy this book. I've cut the price to $60.

Bill Quimby

Bill-just curious but what kind of rifle did this author use?

Kinda off topic but did you know Bill Valentine? Did you get to look at the compilation book his wife put together after he passed-'Valentine and Friends'? It give me shivers to think of anyone going 10miles out of Rocky Pt in the 1940's in a 14ft plywood boat and 4 horse motor.....And bring back Sailfish!!!!

Maybe someone will compile a bunch of Bob H.'s stories and get it published if we are lucky.

lee

Bill-just curious but what kind of rifle did this author use?

Kinda off topic but did you know Bill Valentine? Did you get to look at the compilation book his wife put together after he passed-'Valentine and Friends'? It give me shivers to think of anyone going 10miles out of Rocky Pt in the 1940's in a 14ft plywood boat and 4 horse motor.....And bring back Sailfish!!!!

Maybe someone will compile a bunch of Bob H.'s stories and get it published if we are lucky.

lee

J.Y. Jones used a .30-06 to take all of North America's big game species, including brown, inland grizzly and polar bears.

I met Bill Valentine at Cholla Bay/Rocky Point several times, but can't say I knew him. He was a lot older than I was, but I enjoyed his cartoons and maps. There weren't many large, seaworthy boats being used by Gulf of California sport fishermen in the 1950s when Valentine was doing his thing. In those pre-fiberglass days, a great many people built their own boats from mail-order plans, marine plywood, glue and a ton of brass screws.

Don't know how it is now, but I caught a lot of sailfish off Kino Bay and Guaymas in the 1970s and 1980s, and never had to go too far out to find them. I won the Arizona Daily Star Trophy in one of the San Carlos Bay tournaments with a sailfish I caught just outside the marina's bay. My best billfish day, though, was when my friend Alex Jacome and I caught eleven in four hours from the rip just off the south end of Tiburon. We released nine of them, but one wrapped the line around its tail in one of our double hookups and drowned. The other died from exhaustion before we could release it. For many years, the Kino Bay sportsmen's club used a photo of me, Alex and his son with those two fish and U.S. and Mexican flags to promote its tournaments.

Bob Hirsch and I were good friends and were involved in several publishing ventures together. One of my favorite fishing memories is the time he and I caught and released maybe 50 huge brook trout at Sunrise Lake while casting woolly worm flies in the pool near the entrance of the little stream that feeds the lake. We each kept ten-fish limits that weighed 25-30 pounds total.

Another time, I mentioned to Bob that I had caught every type of fish in Arizona except a pike, and he said he could change that. I left Tucson before daylight, hooked up with him at the exit to Cave Creek, and droveon to Stoneman Lake, caught three or four pike from his inflatable boat, and drove back to Tucson before dark. We both wrote stories about that "expedition."

It saddened me greatly when he and Mary died.

Bill Quimby