Sign in to follow this  
deserttacoma84

An interesting question for you all...

Don't pass it up on the first day if you would shoot it on the second day.

DCM

10-4. I have always said that if it is good enough for the last day than it is good enough for the first day.

That is a pretty good tag, and you have a chance to put a beautiful animal on the wall. Next time I draw a September tag, I will not have any preset limits. I will shot when it feels right. I have passed some great bulls in search of a monster, and have eaten tag soup. It is never a filling meal.

I have spent quite a bunch of time in 6A. Quite a bunch. Lots of elk in the unit. Haven't seen that many 350" bulls compared to the amount of bulls I have seen (meaning percentage wise, the percentage of 350" bulls compared to the number of bulls is low). It is not a trpohy managed hunt unit like there are in some other units in this State (say for instance Unit 10).

I would hope for a 350" bull, but I would be realistic with my expectations. If the right opportunity presents itself with a bull you would you would be satisfied with, I would wouldn't hesitate to shoot. There is much much more to having a "successful" hunt than the score of the animal. On some of my most "successful" hunts, I didn't come home with a score at all because I didn't take an animal. It is all about the enjoyment and memories and not the score. Hunt the entire hunt hoping for a 350" bull but enjoy and savor your hunt. It may be years before you draw another tag.

Just my opinion.

Passing 300inch bulls is one thing... but passing a 320+ bull in 6a is a bad Idea unless you are willing to go home empty... Besides... unless you have a 320 bull on your wall already, you will piss down you pants leg once you are in bow range of a solid bull like that... I have been blessed to have hunted and seen a fair number of 350+ bulls in that unit over the years, but I never encourage anyone to pass a 320+ bull there unless they "Know" they can do better... Like... already have better found.

Just my $.02 worth... Best of Luck on the hunt. :)