Gut Pile

Where to hunt Elk outta state?

Congrats & good luck to everyone who drew tags this year! I unfortunately was left wanting this year. I have been kicking around the idea of hunting another state for elk and maybe Speed Goats next year. I've never hunted another state ,except N.C., and wanted to hear some suggestions for an out of state hunt. I put in here (home,AZ) every year, but It'd be nice to broaden my horizons. Any states still offer OTC elk or Goat tags? I'm not a trophy hunter, just enjoy being out there and spending time with Dad. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

G. Pile :)

it would be a lot less expensive to try self guided hunts on the reservations. the antlerless tags are about $500 and spikes are legal(at least on ft apache). if you get a sept oct hunt the sights and sounds of the big bulls going at it is something. the navajo, wht mountain apache, san carlos and hualapai tribe all have unguided antlerless hunts.

new mexico landowner tags can be a good deal in the non-prime areas-still lots of elk.

lee

Yes, you would be better off hunting here on the res. Saves you gas etc...you get to see some monsters while you are hunting. I took my son up 2 years ago and it was alot of fun. He could only shoot a raghorn, but at least it was a bull and we didnt spend alot on gas........Allen.....

Colorado has OTC rifle bull tags in quite a few units, with some good country in the SW part, around Durango. The hunts start mid-October and go through the first week of November. You can also by a OTC rifle bear tag for the same seasons just in case! ;)

Great suggestions guys. Forgot the rez offers cow tags. Hunting the rez would be very cool! I like the idea of being out there when all those bulls are gettin' all fired up and love drunk! I'm big into photography so that would be a great opportunity to hopefully catch some battle shots. I love Colorado too. I do alot of fly fishing there, maybe time for some cast & blast. Thanks again!

G. Pile

Utah has some otc Elk tags too, i think most of them are spike only, and Idaho has some otc tags to last i heard.

Kevin

MT was a 100% draw this year on the Deer/Elk combo tag but the tag jumped up to $912. Allegiant Air flies from Mesa to Missoula and Billings straight shot for dirt cheap. That's where I'm goin this year.

Ryan