Sign in to follow this  
peckl1

left over Elk tags

I went to the G&F web site to look at the left over tags. They had some tags with hunt numbers that started with 38##. I looked in the regs and the tags were only 30## to 32##???

Where do the other tags come from?

those are probably the Hopi tribal hunts. they are unit-wide so they are very valuable. the tribe bought a few hundred sections in these units and AZGFD decided to authorize Hopi hunters unit wide tags. apparently to avoid closure of these sections to non-tribal members like has happened with Zuni and Navajo land purchases in unit 2.

might want to verify with AZGFD to be sure.

of note-rumor has it that the Zuni tribe is trying to use their tribal hunt permits(New Mexico) on the ranches they purchased in Arizona. So-can a tribe in NM buy a ranch in AZ and it becomes a reservation? or does it become NM? this could get ugly.....not much law out in Witch Wells...

lee

those are probably the Hopi tribal hunts. they are unit-wide so they are very valuable. the tribe bought a few hundred sections in these units and AZGFD decided to authorize Hopi hunters unit wide tags. apparently to avoid closure of these sections to non-tribal members like has happened with Zuni and Navajo land purchases in unit 2.

might want to verify with AZGFD to be sure.

of note-rumor has it that the Zuni tribe is trying to use their tribal hunt permits(New Mexico) on the ranches they purchased in Arizona. So-can a tribe in NM buy a ranch in AZ and it becomes a reservation? or does it become NM? this could get ugly.....not much law out in Witch Wells...

lee

It's not just the Witch Well area in unit 2. The Zunis Hopis also own John Wayne's old 26-Bar Ranch outside Eagar in unit 1. As for tribes buying land to expand their reservations, I may be wrong, but I think there are precedents for this set by the Navajos near Flagstaff, at least one tribe on the Colorado River, and the Yacquis near Tucson.

(I erred. It is the Hopis who own the 26 Bar and not the Zunis. Thanks, Biglakejake.)

Bill Quimby