couesdeerhntr

unit one info

Just wanted to here any info on how the birds are acting in unit one for the beginning of the hunt? Not going to be up there tell may so I was just wandering how the birds were and if the were hened up or the toms were still grouped up? Was in reserve new Mexico and it was extremely dry they havnt had water in over 130 days and every tank I went to was dry. Was wondering if that was the same for unit one. Did they get good moisture up there? Any info will help just curious. Don't need locations just wondering about activity or how everyone was doing up there?

Just wanted to here any info on how the birds are acting in unit one for the beginning of the hunt? Not going to be up there tell may so I was just wandering how the birds were and if the were hened up or the toms were still grouped up? Was in reserve new Mexico and it was extremely dry they havnt had water in over 130 days and every tank I went to was dry. Was wondering if that was the same for unit one. Did they get good moisture up there? Any info will help just curious. Don't need locations just wondering about activity or how everyone was doing up there?

Dry, dry dry. All the roads are open.

Now the birds, there up and running. 4 of the 6 people with us that had tags killed. The toms are getting hot and are probally going to get hotter over the next few days.

i was across the road in 27 and got my butt kicked 3 straight days. Had some hunters on quads screw me friday morning and i screwed myself but not waiting a bird out and trying to close the gap yesterday.

My dad killed this bird Saturday morning and they were gobbling there heads off. Heard 6 different birds before we called this guy in and saw 2 more on the way out. It was extremly dry!!post-1383-0-94710000-1303784810_thumb.jpg

I went out this morning in the area NW of Greens, and it was really bad. No talking at all, TONS of people. I think it's time for some fishing.

I went out this morning with Bullwidgeon's grandfather. While changing sites, we spotted a gobbler with three hens just off the road to Big Lake, but couldn't get the gobbler to come in.

Everything is dry, even meadows that were always wet in years past, and we found no tracks or droppings at any of our favorite turkey places.

Bill Quimby

Hunted the unit 1 side of the vernon-mcnary road May 6 - no sign and no response to any calling. Went for a hike with the family around the lee valley reservoir on Sunday and saw plenty of fresh elk sign but no turkey sign at all. With the cooler temps and high wind they might kick back in gear later this week but I doubt it.

was up there since friday on friday morning heared a couple gobblers nothing came in yesterday morning didnt here one gobble this morning heard 2 gobblers but they were with hens and not coming in really hard hunt fishing is great at big lake right now.

Just got back from three days in Unit 1. Birds are going absolutely nuts in several pockets in the unit. We had birds gobbling till 9 am all three days, and again in the evening from 5 pm on...Still henned up, but that should change in the next week... We hunted high (8500+). Fishing at Big Lake was AWESOME, as was the West Fork... Shoot em in the head!!

We hunted Friday and Saturday (up high) and the birds were totally silent. I wore out some boot leather and could not get any responses. I did not hear even one gobble in an area where I have always had success in the past. I'm not sure if it was the warm weather, dry conditions, or the late date - or all of the above. We did kill one bird that we jumped while tromping around trying to find a responsive tom. In any event, it was still much better than being in the office.

I made it out Saturday to a secret honey hole and had birds all over the place talking their heads off. Lucky me, Thursday was my anniversary and my wife decided to cancel our trip to Lost Wages and I got to go out and play. I got a late start and the birds were off the roost when I get to my area. As I hiked into my spot there were elk on the left end of the meadow and three hens out in the middle. I did some clucks and they came into about 30 yards. Then some other hens off to the right called them off. After the meadow cleared I set up my decoys and got settled into my blind and started calling. With in minutes I had three toms talking to me. The tom in the middle started coming in. As I watched I could see a turkey coming down the road on the far side of the meadow, it was the middle tom and he came out on the far side and hung up. The tom to my right sounded to be getting closer and that disturbed the one on the far side, so he decided to come on in. When he got about half way across the meadow he saw the decoys and started to beline it in. The closer he got the more he puffed up. I shot him just before he attacked my jake decoy. As I was taking pictures I had some hens and a small tom come into the left end of the meadow where the elk were to start with. What a day!!

dcm

post-652-0-46668200-1304959622_thumb.jpg