Sign in to follow this  
SirRoyal

Interesting facts on New Mexico score contest

I was very interested in why people guessed what the score was on that huge 154.1 New Mexico Coues Buck

Here's what I found: At 1st glance figured average score of all guessers high 130"s. FACT TOTAL COMBINED SCORES WAS 25923.3

Divide 25923.3 by 188 people who guessed = AVERAGE SCORE 138 appox. Also so the score averaged up as more people guessed!

Why? Here is my opinion,

1st : The 140" threshold seemed just to much not many bucks over 140" or at 150"threshold. Gotta get beyond the Scarecrow

2nd : We tend to follow those who we think are in the know!

3rd : To much knowledge can and will hurt us

4th : Just plain out afraid to be made a fool of.

I only say this because normaly I dont guess for these reasons on a score contest!

What do you guys think?

SirRoyal

I was very interested in why people guessed what the score was on that huge 154.1 New Mexico Coues Buck

Here's what I found: At 1st glance figured average score of all guessers high 130"s. FACT TOTAL COMBINED SCORES WAS 25923.3

Divide 25923.3 by 188 people who guessed = AVERAGE SCORE 138 appox. Also so the score averaged up as more people guessed!

Why? Here is my opinion,

1st : The 140" threshold seemed just to much not many bucks over 140" or at 150"threshold. Gotta get beyond the Scarecrow

2nd : We tend to follow those who we think are in the know!

3rd : To much knowledge can and will hurt us

4th : Just plain out afraid to be made a fool of.

I only say this because normaly I dont guess for these reasons on a score contest!

What do you guys think?

SirRoyal

Well by your name I would say you have'nt a clue what You are talking about. You have no clue what a great buck that was. But you can sit on the computer and look at all the scores and come up with some theory of bull$$it. That's what I think

I think you are correct. Usually on these contests the guesses average around the correct score. However, this one seemed to be different and I think it's for many of the reasons you listed. It's pretty hard to step out there and guess over 140 given how rare those deer are.

and CW4192, I am not sure why you are attacking sirroyal...he is just asking a question. He didn't say it wasn't a great buck or even really question the score...perhaps you misunderstood his post.

I think you are correct. Usually on these contests the guesses average around the correct score. However, this one seemed to be different and I think it's for many of the reasons you listed. It's pretty hard to step out there and guess over 140 given how rare those deer are.

and CW4192, I am not sure why you are attacking sirroyal...he is just asking a question. He didn't say it wasn't a great buck or even really question the score...perhaps you misunderstood his post.

CW4192 who put a burr under your saddle :unsure: Correct Amanda. That was an AWESOME buck and BIG congrats to Mr. Ruiz for taking such an awesome animal!!!!! I really enjoyed the process of an educated guess! These were all the things I considered before I arrived at my score!

For me this was the toughest Guess the score we've had. I'm usually very close but this AWESOME buck had me fooled from the get go.

After I did the numbers I even added 5" because he had so much going on. Still I under scored him by about 10". I can only say this,

were I to see a buck that was even 30" smaller and I had a tag, there would be no hesitation!!!!

EBB

Personally speaking it was hard for me to guess a number that high especially when the first picture of the hunter has the camera darn near sitting on the buck's nose and he is sitting a good 3 feet behind the buck... BUT... it is a guess the score contest, I looked at the pictures and threw a guess.Then there are others I am sure who get their scoresheets out and try to do the math. No offense to SirRoyal but honestly does it really matter.

And for anyone who is afraid to be made a fool of.. You should try it. Its not bad to look like a fool once in a while. :D

Congratulations to you SirRoyal for going out on a limb and guessing so close that you were in the top 3! I personally wouldn't have guessed it that high, but then, I would have been wrong :)

Personally speaking it was hard for me to guess a number that high especially when the first picture of the hunter has the camera darn near sitting on the buck's nose and he is sitting a good 3 feet behind the buck... BUT... it is a guess the score contest, I looked at the pictures and threw a guess.Then there are others I am sure who get their scoresheets out and try to do the math. No offense to SirRoyal but honestly does it really matter.

And for anyone who is afraid to be made a fool of.. You should try it. Its not bad to look like a fool once in a while. :D

No Offense takin' WadeNAZ. I did the math and had fun at it! I will probably do the math on the next one and blow it!! :D

Thanks Amanda, unlike Brett Favre, I think I'll quit while I'm ahead !!!! :P

SirRoyal....did you have an easy way to gather all the guesses to add them up? If not, next time, send me an email and I can send you the spreadsheet so you can run whatever numbers you want. I hate to think of you entering in all that data.

here are some more facts on the contest that JavaCowboy sent me:

Number of guesses: 187

Number of duplicate guesses: 54

The low guess is: 124

The high guess is: 156 4/8

Here's some more info, since I like tracking numbers as well.

The average is: 137.95

The variance is: 45.18

The standard deviation is: 6.72

I can attest to the fact that Java likes to run numbers. He is in the process of helping me with a website for my knifemaking and he asks questions that when first asked I couldn't figure out why we would need to track but then when he explained they made perfect sense. I can also attest to the fact that he is very patient since he can deal with me! Thanks for your help Java both here and on my problem. And thanks Amanda for all you do for this site!

I didn't participate in the contest, but I did have a number in my head of 137 and 7 so I was right there with the average. I'm in the "It's difficult to guess that high" boat as well. It's just so rare that a Coues scores above 150, or 140 for that matter, that it's hard to guess that high. I've had the immense privilege of standing over a 150"+ deer and even with him in my hands I guessed 136 and 6. When we added the score up and it went over 150, I assumed a mistake had been made and we threw those numbers out and scored him again. It wasn't until the second score was within a inch of the first that in sunk in. Deer like that are just extremely rare and very very special.

Amanda: I did it the hard way on paper, I counted 188 so I must have miss counted or there was a double entry. I will take you up on your offer next time :)

Amanda: I did it the hard way on paper, I counted 188 so I must have miss counted or there was a double entry. I will take you up on your offer next time :)

there was a double entry, so I guess you didn't miscount :)