Sign in to follow this  
mtn-memories

In your opinion - who makes the best wall tent?

+1 on the Bighorn, weighs in around 75 lbs plus no center poles to dodge like on the Alaknak. Also have the Outback Lodge 12x12, weighs in at 25 lbs but have to dodge the center pole. I heat with propane so can't comment on stove use.

Have the same one. Works great with the "buddy" propane heater. Can set it up by myself in 15-20 minutes.

Another vote for Davis I have a 12x14 with a 7 foot 3 sided porch it is perfect for a table and couple chairs can cook in the worst weather and have dry place to put gear really wish it had window in the back but bought it used.

I have a Colorado Tent Company (Now called the Denver Tent Company) that is 22 years old this year. I have used it multiple times every year since I bought it and other than being dirty, it is like it was the day I bought it. I am sure the other companies allow this too but Denver tent will let you "build" a tent like you want it, 1 door or 2, windows or not, zippers or ties for doors, etc.

https://www.denvertent.com/

Couple of things to keep in mind;

Over the years a canvas tent will shrink. My tent started off with 5' high walls and now the walls are about 4'-6" high.

Spend the money to buy or build an internal frame. I bought the angled fittings off the internet and used electrical conduit to build my internal frame. It is a 12'x14' tent and I can put it up by myself in about 10 minutes. It has been through some extreme Wyoming winds and weather and is no worse for wear and has never come loose or collapsed.

I recommend YKK zippers for doors in lieu of ties. I orginally had ties on my door but after a few years I sent my tent back in and had a BIG YKK zipper installed and like it MUCH better. When having to take that midnight visit to the bathroom a zipper is easier to operate than a bunch of ties and it seals the door better than a tie.

One of the reasons I think my tent is in such good shape is I have always stored it properly. No big deal to do this just MAKE SURE it is completly dry when you roll it up to store it until next year. Other than that, nothing else is required. They just get better with age.

No matter which one you get, there is nothing better than a canvas wall tent to hunt out of!

Mine is a 14x16 Davis. Go one size bigger than you think you'll need, and as has already been stated, get windows and screen doors for ventilation.

antelope1.jpg

antelope2.jpg

antelope3.jpg