Sign in to follow this  
BML

Prescott area fishing-her first fish!!!

I want to take my 4 year old daughter fishing this weekend, but could use some tips. First off, I rarely ever fish anymore. Used to do it a ton with my dad and brother when we were little, but not much anymore. One of the worst things I remember when going is being bored off my arse sitting all day with no bites. I really want to get my daughter involved with it, but don't want her first experience to be a bad one and put a bad taste in her mouth.

So really all I am asking is if anyone knows a good lake that I can take her to for a couple hours and maybe catch some bluegill, sunfish or anything really. I prefer to stay up here locally, but wouldn't be opposed to heading down to the valley and maybe doing the urban lake thing, or even heading north to one of the Williams area fisheries.

Let me know if you have any tips on where to go. I appreciate it.

I read in the fishing report that the g&f was stocking trout in Goldwater lake and Lynx Lake, I would watch the weather closely with all the wind and storms expected in the next couple of days. Also in the williams area City Resevoir and Sante Fe Lake were supposed to be stock with trout. I think with some night crawlers and 1" bobbers you should be able to catch some fish.

Good luck

I want to take my 4 year old daughter fishing this weekend, but could use some tips. First off, I rarely ever fish anymore. Used to do it a ton with my dad and brother when we were little, but not much anymore. One of the worst things I remember when going is being bored off my arse sitting all day with no bites. I really want to get my daughter involved with it, but don't want her first experience to be a bad one and put a bad taste in her mouth.

So really all I am asking is if anyone knows a good lake that I can take her to for a couple hours and maybe catch some bluegill, sunfish or anything really. I prefer to stay up here locally, but wouldn't be opposed to heading down to the valley and maybe doing the urban lake thing, or even heading north to one of the Williams area fisheries.

Let me know if you have any tips on where to go. I appreciate it.

I've always done well at kaibab lake, fishing the bottom with power bait and/or night crawlers. should catch some trout. I hope you guys have fun wherever you decide to go.

Blake , Around prescott here is so hit and miss and mostly miss. I think Kiabab lakes your best shot to come home with something. Kids get bored real quick when thier not catching anything!

Kids get bored real quick when thier not catching anything!

This is really why I want to get some ideas before I head out! haha. My daughter won't last long if something isn't going on. She's been asking me to take her for a while, but I really want to try to at least improve my odds a little before we go.

It's not really the end of the world if we don't do well. We'll still be out enjoying our time together!!

Thanks for the tips guys.

Blake,I take the kids over the hill to Deadhorse and always catch fish.Bring some crawlers and bobbers and hit the last lake.Never had much luck at the Prescott area lakes.

Wanted to send out a very big thank you to everyone that gave me tips and advice, either here or via PM.

A little late at posting the report, but we headed out last Saturday morning. I had barely even sat our gear down and Ryanne was already digging through the worm bucket getting her bait! I was a little surprised to say the least. She picked out the "cutest" worms, according to her. Too funny.

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

She almost immediately started getting bites, but it's been so long since I fished I couldn't get them hooked. After losing 5 or 6 fish I decided to go to a smaller hook and switch rods with her. Didn't take long and she had her very first fish!! She actually reeled this one in all alone too. She was so happy she started yelling and screaming "I caught a fish"!! The guys across from us were rolling laughing.

Again to my surprise, she said she wanted to hold it and release it back.

IMAG0171.jpg

Final total for the day was 2 small catfish and 10 rainbows. I probably lost close to 30 fish throughout the morning too. The bite was awesome and never really stopped.

It was just her and I all day, but I was able to talk a fellow fisher into taking a quick picture of her last fish of the day before we left.

PART951305999081611.jpg

Thanks again!!

Nice story.

I still have pictures of me, in a scrapbook, of when I caught my first fish. It was a catfish from a small lake in Iowa with one of my Uncles and Cousins. My wife salvaged them from my Mother, and I'm glad she did. My unsolicited advice would be to start a scrapbook of things like this that she can have when she gets older.

Biker

Thats awesome Blake! Youre a goofy lookin SOB, but she is cute as a button!

I took my girlfriend and her daughter fishing a coupld weeks ago... We sat with bait out for a couple of hours, I switched to an inline spinner and on the 2nd cast I had a small rainbow on... The litle girl loved reeling it in, and wanted to hold it as well.. Definetely awesome when they catch their first fish!

Nice work Blake and a big congrats to Ryanne!!!

Nice story.

I still have pictures of me, in a scrapbook, of when I caught my first fish. It was a catfish from a small lake in Iowa with one of my Uncles and Cousins. My wife salvaged them from my Mother, and I'm glad she did. My unsolicited advice would be to start a scrapbook of things like this that she can have when she gets older.

Biker

First let me say them pictures are awesome. BikerRN is right on the money when he says to start a scrapbook. If nothing else just write it down. You'll be glad you did 20, 30, & 40 years from now. Thanks for sharing Ryanne's fishing experience with us. :)

TJ

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!!! Except for you Casey, <_< ha

I appreciate it.