TannerJohn

unit one archery bull !

After thirteen years of applying (I am only 25 years old) I have drawn an early season unit one elk permit! Was at unit one this past week fishing, and saw tons of elk everywhere including some nice bachelor bulls! I HAve hunted in Arizona my entire life for Coues deer in Southeastern Arizona, but for elk, this is a first. I am planning on scouting and spending as much time in the field needed to harvest a nice bull. However, with the size of that unit, I don't have much of an idea where to start. Have any of you guys hunted in unit one, or do any of you know of productive areas as a starting point for me to scout? I greatly appreciate any information! Happy hunting.

After thirteen years of applying (I am only 25 years old) I have drawn an early season unit one elk permit! Was at unit one this past week fishing, and saw tons of elk everywhere including some nice bachelor bulls! I HAve hunted in Arizona my entire life for Coues deer in Southeastern Arizona, but for elk, this is a first. I am planning on scouting and spending as much time in the field needed to harvest a nice bull. However, with the size of that unit, I don't have much of an idea where to start. Have any of you guys hunted in unit one, or do any of you know of productive areas as a starting point for me to scout? I greatly appreciate any information! Happy hunting.

Congress on a great tag! I haven't hunted it for a few years, but we used to see great numbers and quality of bulls all around Escadilla mtn.

Guest 300ultramag.

great tag.. good luck and the rut as u know isnt a sure fire thing.. pattern the one you like so opening morning.. ur not bankin on screamin bulls.. good place to start is that bar down the road from bear wallow.. good food and good whiskey.. 90% scouting.. blah blah.. did the bugs hatch up that way yet.. howd u do fishin..

thanks for the replies. Fish were surely biting! flies a flying! slayed them at nelson reservoir and crescent n, some up to 18 inches. Boy were the elk active; saw probably 500 elk in different areas throughout the unit. They were everywhere! Literally in every meadow early in the morning. Saw some good bulls in bachelor herds. Attached are some pics. Cant wait to get out there and do some more scouting. Happy hunting

thanks for the replies. Fish were surely biting! flies a flying! slayed them at nelson reservoir and crescent n, some up to 18 inches. Boy were the elk active; saw probably 500 elk in different areas throughout the unit. They were everywhere! Literally in every meadow early in the morning. Saw some good bulls in bachelor herds. Attached are some pics. Cant wait to get out there and do some more scouting. Happy hunting

post-5100-0-92113800-1306347410_thumb.jpgpost-5100-0-22335000-1306347087_thumb.jpg

Like many people who have little experience with this area, you apparently were duped by our little-known White Mountain elk mirages. The high altitude captures images of elk, deer, bear and turkey in units 27 and 3 and randomly displays them near Alpine, Round Valley, Escudillo Peak, Nutrioso, Green's Peak and Greer. In fact, those of us who spend a lot of time up here are well aware that the last elk, deer, and turkey left unit one several years ago.

Bill Quimby

Here is one thing you need to know about Unit 1- it's good and sometimes even better but there isn't 380 bulls behind every tree. What I've done is picked the type of area I like to hunt and scout there. Good bulls are in every area but I'm assuming this to be a 330-340 type elk.

What the last few years have been like is slow until the last week of the hunt. If you really want to hunt screaming bulls focus on the last week.

This might not be the best unit in the state but the habitat ranges from cedar to aspens. I love it and wouldn't hunt any other unit. Quality areas would include Escudilla, Greens Peak, Big Lake, PS, Sipes Wildlife Area, Pole Knoll, Pool Corral, Black River, Boneyard, North Springs, Vernon, Green Spot, Rudd Knoll, Pat Knoll, Nutrioso, Alpine Divide, Greer, Baldy Wilderness, Red Hole Draw, and so on, and so on..........

Point is there are a lot of places to hunt and I haven't even mentioned my favorites.

Good Luck and hunt hard

I have this tag as well and it will be a miracle if we are able to even hunt the unit with this fire. Even if the fire is out the forest service may close large portions due to dangerous snag trees. I'm not keeping my hopes up........

Got off the phone with the FS rep listed on their web site and she confirmed they will not open any more than the lakes and what is currently opened until next year. Some of you may think this isn't a concern for you since you don't have a tag but the greater issue here is the FS over reaching and closing entire forest. This will affect you one day. We all need to band together here and start protesting this. If we dont then they will continue to close off areas for years at a time. With all the rain they are getting and all the time they have had this shouldn't be closed. People always know the risk of entering the forset at any time. Even if they open the forest but have some areas that burned severely closed that would be understandable, however to just close the entire area for a year is unreasonable!

I have attached the FS mailing address and phone number below. I encourage everyone to write letters and/or call to demand the forest service reconsider the closure until next year. Again this effects all of us!

P.O. Box 640

(mailing address)

30 S. Chiricahua Dr.

(physical address)

Springerville, AZ 85938

Voice: (928) 333-4301

I just spoke with both forest service offices and "karen" said greenspeak area may open tonight. She also said the intent is to have "alot" of the area open for wood collecting and scouting over the next few weeks. I hung up the phone feeling good that progress is being made. Allen...............